Tobacco?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by pillhead2, Feb 22, 2010.

1. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

all i know is that i should of never started smoking ciggy's such a bad addiction

2. Envy

Envy Member

Never have done any drugs of any kind. I don't see myself ever doing them either. Other people can do what they want, but personally I don't see the point. And I have enough health issues as it is.

3. Goander

Goander Members

I quit smoking years ago. Wish I had never smoked.

Bilby and Twogigahz like this.
  4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Tried a cigarette a couple times in high school. Made me cough and gag and stink. I don't get the appeal at all.

The smell alone is sickening

5. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

got dam fat lip in right now

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Only smoke weed. Did the cigarettes while drinking thing once or twice because a smoker friend encouraged it. Felt like an idiot and knew it was wrong. Also tried dip once and buzzed but very sick. Having to spit every 60 seconds is not a sexy look to the ladies. Seems that among country redneck types the women accept it but not here.

7. 1964mustang

1964mustang Newbie

I have smoked since I was a teen, I use to drink and I put that down with no problem but I am still fighting the cigarettes.

Up4Fun757 and bry75 like this.
  8. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I started smoking cigs when I was 13. Stopped in 2012. Then started to get back into shape. My doctor is pleased with my lungs and heart. As a donor. I cannot donate my lungs due to smoking.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Had a 2.5 pack a day habit. Quit in '83.

Up4Fun757 and Upnorthguy like this.
  10. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I smoke occasional cigars and (unfortunately) I enjoy packing a lip. That has been hard for me to permanently quit.

11. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Since 1981, started with lucky strike non-filtered till I started hand rolling around 1990.
    Managed a few weeks here and there smoke free since the cancer diagnosis in 2019 and about to flip to nicotine gum again tomorrow.

I'll stop eventually one way or another.
    (Something tells me it's going to come down to my growing and smoking an equivalent amount of marijuana and I'm ok with that. )

12. Dulci Daily

Dulci Daily Members

One of the few things my parents successfully advised me not to do was to smoke tobacco. I never smoked it. Great advice, thanks mom and dad! They also would have advised me not to smoke marijuana if I'd asked them, but I didn't. I did later decide to quit using "the shit" because I concluded that it had too great a tendency to turn the brain to mush (figuratively speaking)--but that may be irrelevant since this poll is about tobacco not marijuana.

13. Up4Fun757

Up4Fun757 Members

I quit about year ago, for about 6-8 months... picked it back up again and just under a pack. The wife is sick with a smoking related cancer. Any tips on how you quit? Need to stop for good. Thanks!!

14. Dulci Daily

Dulci Daily Members

Many US states have established free programs to help people quit smoking. I'm guessing the same is probably true in many other countries. You could search on the Internet for the words quit, smoking, tobacco, and the place where you live, and probably find something. I hope you'll succeed!

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I just quit; "cold turkey". You might inquire with your county health department; I would imagine most of them would have smoking cessation programs.

Up4Fun757 likes this.
  16. Up4Fun757

Up4Fun757 Members

Cold turkey does seem to be the most successful approach. I have been in some smoking cessation before. Received Chantix, it made me moody... I also didn't care for the nicotine replacement they push. I feel I end up more addicted after wearing the patch or using the gum. I believe 50% of a successful quit is getting your head right. Stressful time to be getting my head right, but gonna figure it out -- Big talk from a guy that just had a smoke! Ha!

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I "quit" numerous times before it stuck.
    Hang tough; 'fall down seven, get back up eight'.

Up4Fun757 likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I used to smoke, but am completely rid of tobacco and it's stink on everything in my wake... Gone are the days of hunting for my lighter, or counting out $3.25 for some Marlboro Lights. Or waiting patiently for someone to roll one from the Drum pouch.

No, I don't smoke and I certainly don't miss its effects on my health & mentality.

Interestingly, after an epoch of tobacco usage my uncle has similarly kicked the habit. Now he smoked for my lifespan of 40 years, and finally after everything he's through with it. I felt like congratulating him when I heard that. But it's more formal than that - he's my senior, my mom's brother, and would wonder why I'm giving the 'congrats' as though he were a contemporary rather than something more respectfully formal.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I've been moderately successful with the cold-turkey method, and then later (after picking back up several years on) with vaping an electronic cigarette. I feel like it's really psychological.

Up4Fun757 likes this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yes, please.