The Young to Old Hippie FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Southernman, May 10, 2004.

1. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

2. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. Opinionated

Opinionated Member

i have a question and i hope this is the right place to ask it. i plan on eventually getting a van or bus of some kind and roaming the country. i want to paint it, like a modern hippie van. i was wondering if anyone could tell me how yall painted your vans. like, what kind of paint and how? that would be much appriciated! =]

5. jazzyjerms09

jazzyjerms09 Member

*happy sigh* well written, and wonderful to hear bro! I know exactly what you mean.

1 person likes this.
  6. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Guest

Totally well said. :) I don't know if you've ever read Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" but there's a section in there where Ken Kesey is talking about labels... labels constrain you to what you can and cannot be. If you are a this, then you sure can't be a that. I think that being compared to the hippies of the '60s is a beautiful thing, but I wouldn't label myself it either. It might limit what I CAN be, which is just being me, out-front and freaky me. :)

7. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Member

But you can, on a personal level, follow through on you idealogy. I suspect you actually do. Although life might have gotten in the way you still have free time, I assume you have a credit card. You could either help organisiations you believe in by donating either time or cash. It may seem more of an uphill struggle now than it did then but that may be because you realise that , even though there were 10's of thousands of people at the time who, frankly, my dear, GAVE a shit, it still didnt bring about a sea-change in national politics. Just do a little bit and then at least you are doing something.

There's no problem with making money, it's what you do with it that can make a difference. If some of the methods used may be unsatisfactory, then support organisations like fairtrade when shopping .

http://www.fairtrade.ie/index.php?id=14#Q1

8. peacelove&music

peacelove&music Member

amazingly written. ive been wondering about the same things! :)

9. smokeemadpot

smokeemadpot Member

This did make me a bit sad... People lable me as a hippy, as well as many others im sure, but y should that bother anyone? i dont lable myself as a hippy, which is by-the-way a government term... I just am.. U know, there is no lables for any of this, we just are... Its all about what u believe, feel, and know to be true. and u live your life letting that guide you. :peace: peace and love, -Destiny... :ssmokeit:

10. Helter-Skelter

Helter-Skelter Member

I was watching the Woodstock documentary, and I wanted to see how many Old Hippies were there. I m very envious, because if you tried to do something like that nowadays some people would definitely die. Woodstock seemed so carefree!

11. BuddaLove

BuddaLove Member

I feel you!! I do not give myself a label, others do and it does not bother me one bit because I know who I am and proud of it. I'm only 21 and growing up in the society today where everything is about who you are, who you know, how popular you are, blah blah blah only had little affect on who I am today. People my age who don't understand the real meaning of life call themselves hippies because they trip on LSD and wear peace signs, I think that is a stereotype. What happen to making our world a better place? What happened to planting trees instead of knocking them down to build cities? What happened trying to end war because our family memebers are dieing for nothing? You can "label" yourself with whatever you please, but people aren't always what they say they are. When I was younger even less than 5 years ago I didn't care about anything but me myself and I. I've grown so much, opened up my eyes to what is really important and have completely changed my life around for the better.

granite45 likes this.
  12. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

I graduated from high school in the Class of 69. Yea 69! Went to an art college just south of Cal Berkeley, in 69. Yea 69! Enough of that. My roommate and me went to all of the big gigs in San Francisco. Three great name groups, tickets were $3.00. All the hippie got real pissed when Bill Gram raised his ticket prices to $3.50. Believe it. After dropping out of college I lived in the Haight in the biggest commune (many apartments and houses). It is right here in this forum under "Back to the Garden". Same heads.

I'm still a freak (hippie). Had a great life. Held terrific jobs. Had years of not working. Work at home now. Been lovers with tons of ladies. Still love each of them, ever and always. Partied my ass off. (can you say ass on this forum)? you can on TV.

What makes you a hippie is the way that the rest of the world is. The straight society. If the way that that world is is not for you, then... You travel the path not taken. Go your own way. Invent your own way. You're a seeker. Looking for something new and different. Your life. A better way of living it.

To me it's all about leaning to make yourself into the best "you" that you can possibly be. Not on an ego trip. I mean for real. Back then "Being real" was a phrase. It really did have a serious meaning. If you were real, you where there. If you weren't for real, you were square. Someone would want to bring a friend over and you would ask, "Is he Real?"

What can I say. You Be.
    How is another question.

May all Love surround you, and the pure light within you guide your way home.

Scorpio Kenny

13. dizz36

dizz36 Member

I totally digged that article it put the whole hippie movement in perspective like alot of people look back on it and say oh i wish i were there and i do admit i used to say that but readind this made me see that though there was free love and drugs it was not all some movies cacked it up to be. It also did a really great job of telling about the beats and the diggers! All togethar it was just really good:)

14. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

"Though I don't much look like it these days, I will always think of myself as a hippie. It was the best damn thing I ever was.":guitarist:

~ Easy Livin',> coolest hippie I ever knew( RIP-EAZ > -08*04*1949-10*25*2010)

15. ZiggyZuZu

ZiggyZuZu Member

I am called a hippie on a daily basis, to tell the truth I love it. COnsider it the best compliment I could get. I call myself a hippie because I became this way on my own through my love to mother nature and my hatred to man made evils like money and all the greedy habits associated with it. I have long hair, wear tie dye, fishermanpants, ripped jeans, head bands and cheaps arse shoes. I have smoked weed, drank lots of alcohol and completely believe that the media makes weed look extrememly harmful and dumbening to make us smart hippies look stupid. I could go all day bit I really cant be fucked typing anymore, I'd rather just talk to you in person.

Oh and one day I want to live in a big house in the middle of a big beautiful forest with rivers mountains and clean rivers.

16. thesophiatree

thesophiatree Guest

So, here i am. My name is Sophia, and im younger than most of you. I am called a hippie by most of my fellow peers, but that is not why i am here. I suppose its because of my beliefs. I'm disapointed in alot that goes on in the world today but i am happy in my life. The only thing that gets people that i know caught up in the hippie label, for me, is that i have never done any sort of drug in my whole life. But i do not look down upon those who have. So, here i am. :)

17. Ankhesenamun

Ankhesenamun Member

been a vegetarian for five years, love the great outdoors... love feeling free, and part of the universe.. never build yourself high walls!!! we all stick to little boxes we call a house/home yes?... for me home is in the heart... love lives inside me not a tv...car...holidays.... find the real you... stay true..stay free

18. ColdStonerJK

ColdStonerJK Guest

Thats Right Brother!

19. ColdStonerJK

ColdStonerJK Guest

My friends say im the hipppie in our crew and I believe I am I wish there was no such thing as money greed and war and I love writing poems and expressing my point of view on life while intoxicated.. I feel as though we as a people, brothers, sisters, hippes, etc can change the world all it takes is a voice and love, Peace brothers and sisters

20. Pothatoh

Pothatoh Guest

U got it right there bro. I agree to evry point and dot.