The Ugly Truth

Discussion in 'Romance Movies' started by Shale, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Ugly Truth
    Movie Blurb by Shale

July 26, 2009

While I don't usually read reviews before seeing movies, our local reviewer, Rene Rodriguez with The Miami Herald, panned this movie with the headline "Truth is, it's pretty ugly" and gave it no stars. Looking at the reviewers on Rottentomatoes, 85% agree with him, giving the consensus that the script was weak and it lacked charm or humor.

Granted it is not a great movie like - uh, let's say Notting Hill or Monster in Law but it is what it is. And that is a formulaic romantic comedy that entertains for an hour and a half and requires no thinking. Actually, I liked it.

The story is about Abby (Katherine Heigl) a control freak producer of a morning TV show that is faltering in the ratings. We know it is because they are trying for quality, intelligent programming on TV. She stumbles across and instantly loathes the very popular cable show "The Ugly Truth" where Mike (Gerard Butler) gives a no-nonsense, chauvinistic, male perspective on relationships. She even engages him on the phone on air, just to be reminded that she didn't have a real guy, just a romantic image of one.

Of course, you guessed it, her boss brings Mike and "The Ugly Truth" onto their show to boost ratings, which it soon does making him a very important player.

Mike and Abby - Mutually Annoyed
    [​IMG]

Meantime, the honest and discerning Abby discovers her gorgeous hunky neighbor Colin (Eric Winters) in a bath towel that eventually drops giving us a view of his gorgeous butt and implies that her face is right in his crotch (BTW, this film is rated R). Not only gorgeous but a doctor and sensitive man who is every woman's ideal.

Well, Mike sees thru all that romantic stuff and knows Colin is just another ball-driven guy. He ends up coaching Abby in how to catch her man, even feeding her scripts as a high-tech Cyrano de Bergerac.

Colin and Abby on a Baseball Date
    [​IMG]

OK, by now you must have guessed the obvious. Do I need to yell SPOILERS to tell you that it doesn't go off with Colin. Would you have ever imagined that Abby would fall in love with Mike?

[​IMG]

If I ruined it for ya don't worry. 85% of reviewers consider I did ya a favor if it keeps you from seeing this flick.

However, if you want a brainless piece of summer entertainment, go see it anyhow because it is funny in spots. That is, if you're not a militant feminist - in which case you will be insulted by all the clichéd male truisms that Mike brings up and which apparently are very popular. Maybe there's a bit of ugly truth in them.

2. everdeenkatniss257

everdeenkatniss257 Members

The Ugly Truth (2009) is one great movie.