The Protest For The Right To Sit Around And Do Nothing

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Josephp, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Josephp

Josephp Members

Dear Hip Forum,

Today I spent 5 hours siting on the steps of the Sacre Coeur in the beautiful city of Paris-Metropolis - doing absolutely nothing except having a truly profound spiritual experience of feeling connected and harmonious with other visitors and the planet. Anti-terrorism operations mean that there were armed military patrols and police patrols. My lovely hippie friend Marta asked me "when the police or the military see us, what do they see? are we doing something wrong? is what we're doing a crime?". Believe it or not, it's not a crime and after several patrols (circa 3.5 hours of sitting in the same place) these armed folks obviously recognized us - but didn't return our beaming smiles :)

This reminded me of this absolutely wonderful event that I think my father mentioned to me the protest for the right to sit around and do nothing. I believe it was held in New York - perhaps washington square park? Anyway I was looking for information about this protest and I couldn't find anything on this topic. Evidently we've not been entirely diligent when registering every absurd and wonderful event - so I wanted to ask here if anyone remembers this or can point me to something like an artifact about this stupendous moment of human (non?) endeavor.

Thank you all lovelies!

-Joseph.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Sitting around and doing nothing, its sounds like the internet

2 people like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we should thank everyone who does nothing, for the harm they are not causing. of course, doing actually nothing, is simply not physically possible.

so i have to assume, what is meant by the phrase, is to avoid economically benefiting others.

i see nothing wrong, with a right to not create and perpetuate a kind of world you might not wish to live in.

of course i also recognize the reality, that one cannot expect to be sustained by others, while and for doing so.

but i do think we also make a mistake, to make pariah's of those, who choose not to contribute, to a world they don't want.

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Sitting around doing nothing is a spiritual experience? Whatever you were smokin, you gotta get me some

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like turtles.

6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

alright youre a great zombie good times here at the water front village

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's not like there's no right not to do anything.

Like if ya don't want to do anything then don't. No one forcing you. Just don't sit and complain about the downfalls when they happen. :)

8. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

that doesnt sound interesting or productive, but fuck it, your a "hippie".

9. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

There is always Something achieved from acts of Nothing

1 person likes this.
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I went to Sacre Coeur a few years ago.It was dark,Sunday evening,and you could see lights from that height shining all over Paris.I sat in on the candle lit service and it was very beautiful.As I came out there were youngsters playing on the steps.Then I had chicken a la Roman for dinner Monmartre.I would've to go.there again.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anyone who wants to think the right to sit around and do nothing is what protest is about, is their own problem,
    not that of real protestors.