The Mother-In-Law

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by busmama, Jan 4, 2006.

1. busmama

busmama go away

Today has been one of those days, please bear with me I need to rant.

We just moved to a new house (yes we still have the bus) haven't even been here 2 weeks and a truant officer shows up today. Damn, school just started back Monday. Anyway we're all legal and it wasn't a big deal until the MIL showed up. It jsut seemed to set her off on one of her tangents about how much easier it would be if I just put them in school. It wouldn't be so bad if she even had a good reason, but her reason is always the same "It would just be easier" Every time I see her she starts on me, sometimes she brings her sisters to complain too.

I've been dealing with this for the whole 7 years, I'm at my wits end with her. I've dealt with this problem with other family member OK, but just can't seem to get through to her that I am going to homeschool. So, how do other people deal with this, any suggestions?

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Oh no, I am so sorry! (((((((((big huge cyber-hug!)))))))))

I wish I could help you, but my mom is the exact same way. Every month or so, she comes over to tell me how much easier my life would be if I just "stopped all this stubbornness and put the kids in school like everyone else!" My son is in 4th grade right now, and it's been this way since Kindergarten. Never a good reason, just "easier."

I truly wish I could help, but at least I can tell you you're not alone! Rant away, I'm right there with ya!
    love,
    mom

3. busmama

busmama go away

I told her today that really it would just be "easier" if I dropped the kids off with her and moved to Hawaii. She wasn't amused but it shut her up.

4. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

Ugh....that sucks.

I'm kinda lucky in a way....my mom lives 5 hours away and my MIL lives 1 hour away.
    I still get the occassional lecture or guilt trip about homeschooling, but I usually just keep it short and just reply with "we're doing great!". We actually unschool....try explaining that to Grandma.....but I journal all of our activities. Usually when I show them the book, or even just tell them about it, they drop it.

I know they have the child's best interest in mind, but don't they realize that we do too?????

Okay~I'm kind of ranting now too. Hope things get better for you!!!

5. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

my mother in law i got along with fine ..the father in law was my problem ...one day he came here to gloat over his new car and when we stepped outside to look at his big shiny new oldsmobile ,my goat was standing on top of the car ......father in law till the day he died never returned to my house ...GAWD HOW I LOVED THAT GOAT

6. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

A goat, huh? Gotta getta goat! Sounds like a loverly idea! Maybe he could be trained to chase away bratty neighbors too???
    love,
    mom

7. busmama

busmama go away

We had a goat for years,I loved that goat. she chased away the electric reader once, then jumped up on his van and he was afraid to get out, or to drive off and hurt her. it was sooo funny.

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

That sucks, busmama. If she already called Truant, I am scared she'll try next with CPS. What to do in this situation? NC. NO CONTACT. You can tell her (I woulnd't put it in writing at this point) that she is upsetting you, the kids and their education and that contact will be cut off, temporarily, unless she can keep her nose out of your business. I had to do this when my oldest child developed food allergies and my MIL and FIL "didn't beleive in" food allergies. They kept not only harrasing me, but kept trying to give Sunshine things she was allergic to. I told my dh to tell them we'd see them after she outgrew them.

They shut the hell up pretty fast. Once my FIL started in with my dd, and she read him the riot act. By then, she knew the score.

I am sorry you had to have such hassle.

9. busmama

busmama go away

We already keep her to supervised contact. As she isn't really all that interested in watching them or anything it works for us. Unfortunantly (for thier health) they both smoke alot in the house, so I don't feel I can take my kids there, and they don't like to come to my non-smoking house, we only see each other a few minutes here and there anyway.

She wasn't the one who called the truancy officer though, she wouldn't do that it would be effort on her part. She just happend to be dropping off some stuff she bought for the kids rooms when he came. That is a whole other story,

When we moved we changed counties and I had my notification transfered as allowed by Ohio law. The new school board remembers getting it, but lost it. So they were trying to tell me I needed to enroll my kids for two weeks while they sorted it out. It was totally against the law and I politely pointed that out to the superintendent and the truancy officer. The super tried to argue, but even the truancy officer told him he couldn't do that.

So it ended up being no big deal, I was just totally frustrated and then she used it as a chance to bug me about homeschooling in general. I needed to complain, thanks for listening.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}