The gay wedding cake.

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Bilby, Dec 16, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I've known a few very nice people who didn't like "that ****** in the White House."

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So if we don't like Obama, we're racist? Is that what you're trying to say?

Man oh man. For the last 8 years if I disagreed with something the president said or did, I am a racist. Now, if I agree with something the president says or does, I am a racist.

Jeez there's just no winning with you people. Is there?

Aerianne and Irminsul like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A lot of people didnt like Obama because they were racist though

I saw someone call Obama a hoodrat the other day

What reason could anyone have for calling an articulate, intelligent, accomplished , Ivy league educated man a hoodrat. Unless they're just going by the color of his skin.

There are people who have genuine criticisms of Obama based on policy, and there are people who have criticisms of him because he's black. It isnt hard to spot the difference in his critics either

But I dont think Meagain really meant to make an issue of Obama , I think he was just pointing out that there are plenty of people out there who seem nice but are closet racists.

We had forced deseegregation here. When my mom was in high school, which I think people forget...we arent talking ancient history, we're talking a generation ago. And attitudes did change quickly, because people were forced to go to school with black people and were able to adjust their perspective based on getting to know black people on a peer to peer, personal level

I think it would have taken the south a hell of a lot longer to change its overall attitude towards race if the government didnt force the issue - how could anyone find an opportunity to have their preconceived views challenged if they were kept completely separate from other races?

And I also think because the south was very forceful with desegregation and kids from white neighborhoods were and still are bussed to schools in black neighborhoods, in some ways we're ahead of other parts of the country where schools are assigned by location and neighborhoods are very segregated. Southern schools are pretty diverse thanks to zoning methods. I went to elementary school in a low income black neighborhood with kids from that particular neighborhood and with kids who lived miles away in million dollar houses

I cant really complain about the heavy handedness of the government when it comes to desegregation

What is this thread about again

Let them eat cake

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Maybe he does like a hood rat... Face down ass up. Chicken head dirty ass no good trick, hood rat bitch you can suck dis woop woop!

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats the most intelligent thing anyone has said in this thread

6. MeAgain

I was merely pointing out that I have experience over and covert racism. Not against me personally.

But I was pointing out that I have known individuals who were openly racist.
    The gentleman I referenced was a life long coal miner in South Western PA. A union man and a man who despised what the coal companies had and are doing to their workers and the environment. A man who voted for Bill Clinton. He was very friendly and I would visit him often. But if we got onto the subject of Obama he became extremely racist. Why? Because Obama was black, not because of any of his policies.

I don't know how you got from being racist for not liking a man because he's black to being racist for not liking a man for other reasons.
    There are lots of non racist reasons to not like someone.

And since you brought it up, you can agree with something Trump does and not be racist if what you're agreeing to isn't racist.
    For, instance, I approve of Trump's belated enforcement of the sanctions on Russia, and I will approve if he meets the Jan 29 sanctions.

7. MeAgain

I don't know what your point is, but I agree.
    I never suggested that the various classes were only due to race.
    There're lots of types of social classes.
    There're classes based on wealth, profession or skill, status, intelligence, physical attributes, heritage, race, religion, etc.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If you are going to try equate racism with what this thread is about, it would have to be a race that represents 1 in 100 of your population

Blacks around 12%, Hispanics the same, total number of brown people getting closer to half the population, in America, still enough of them to have a lot of people like them when they go to school, work, college, wherever, All of whom have a few cultural differences, but cultural differences that are basically the same, especially when it comes to the important stuff, marriage, family, sex, prom night

And there is no such thing as a vastly culturally different white person from a very small minority that would be alienated in your culture, to give you an example to draw parrallels with.

Racism is no comparison especially with the 1 in 100 thing. Or a black guy that got adopted and grew up in upstate new york, where he was the only black guy his entire childhood and throughout his teens and everyone else was white, would have a better understanding of us than the black guy that grew up in Atlanta where half his friends were like him, but even then he'd be missing the part where people freak out about the sex thing

And as Undies alluded to, is anything every really about racism primarily anyway

The 1 in 100 thing, thats what we can never really explain to anyone.

Imagine you, as a heterosexual female, if as a little kid, got abducted by aliens and taken to a planet just like earth in the 1980s but where everyone else was homosexual, and you had to grow up there. Every TV show, every movie is boy meets boy or girl meets girl, every romcom is same sex, when Harry met Steve not when Harry met Sally, every single friggin poster ad selling every thing from watches to sports drink has a girl trying to impress another girl, day in day out for decades. You are there in high school, having a big crush on a guy, when ever other girl is sitting around talking about other girls "You think she likes me" all that kind of stuff. Prom night, you are the only girl in your high school that wants to bring a male as their date

Can never really properly explain that kind of thing to anyone else, even those that are later on in life gay, but werent in their teens, even less that knew before their teens.

There is no real comparison to racism in that way

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

For every 100 person in the upstate new York towns is 11 other black people. :p

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok then. Berlin in 1944 :p

Irminsul likes this.
  11. MeAgain

We are talking about discrimination.
    Racism is one form of discrimination. Racism enters the picture because it's been already been legislated against.
    At one time there was no legislation stating that it was wrong to discriminate based on race.
    Now we have an issue involving discrimination based on sexual orientation, it's going to court to see if also will also lead to specific legislation banning that action.

It doesn't matter how many people in a group are discriminated against, one is enough.

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Discrimination vs. no discrimination is black and white.

But when an establishment plays the religion card--weather bullshit or not--we enter a gray area. From the point of view of these bakers, it is a religious issue--or, so they claim. Personally, I think they're using religion to justify their own bigotry. But, the point is still valid: It's not a black and white issue; it exists in a gray area--a gray area that has to be addressed from a legal standpoint before we toss the term discrimination around.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  13. MeAgain

Depends on your definition.
    It's clear the gay couple is being discriminated against, the question is, is the discrimination valid legally.

14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

May I have another slice of cake, please?

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes I want a piece of cake and yes I want to eat it too.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  16. Noserider

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

18. Noserider

Fucken luv these guys. I can watch these for hours

19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You have to be honest about where your party is and not take it personal. You picked a side and some people on that side believe things. Of course Obama did things that had nothing to do with race but the issue is pretending racism is not there at all. Which has traditionally been a huge issue for Republicans and the reason they have difficulty attracting anything but white voters. Hide behind the old "but democrats invented the KKK they are racist" argument if you want but that proves my point. It's not there we are not responsible ok then.

If you were honest you would admit that Trump is where he is in large part due to racism and many of Obama's criticisms boiled down to him being "Muslim" and black. As I said many other issues not related to that but the Republicans have catered to those ideas. When nazis are "good people on both sides" you have to take a step back and examine. I doubt many will because they hate for Obama is so great.

Non-Republicans don't want to make you a victim or accountable for everyone we just want the party to address the elephant in the room if that makes sense. Because people trust the party their words have weight. More so then those they consider an enemy.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie