The gay wedding cake.

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Bilby, Dec 16, 2017.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The bigoted hardware store's yelp page - God bless America

Screenshot_2018-06-10-10-20-02.png

Noserider likes this.
  3. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

"God Hates Fags" IS hate speech and would fall under that. The cakemaker could refuse to do this because this speech is discriminatory. "God Hates........." referring to any group is discrimination and could affend on religious and discriminatory grounds. You are not legally obliged to honor his request. But shoving an AK-15 rifle in this person's face will get you arrested under other laws. I've talked to a lawyer and she said the ruling is SO narrow, as to apply in ONLY this particular cake case, that the court should've upheld it. She said she knows people will try to use it to uphold discrimination linked to religioun, but believes it won't work. The very foolish hardware store owner pegged those no gays, no liberal signs on his store and IS inviting litigation since he doesn't understand the tenor of the ruling. As some have noted, this man said he wouldn't make the cake. Not that he wouldn't serve gays or any other people in his store. The cake was what it was about. He cannot be forced to make something that is against the tenets of his religion. This couple could get a cake elsewhere. And, if this man is refusing to do this, why patronize him ? The real bottom line is someone insisted they take this case as far as they did. There could've been better, more serious cases: jobs, housing, Suppose I ask for a penis birthday cake. The store refuses because, "we dont make cakes like that," ours is not an "X-rated" cake store. This has nothing to do with religion, but with the store reputation. They have the right to refuse service. The Gay wedding cake, the court says, falls into this arena. The cake store is a private enterprise and can refuse to make certain items. It is not a government entity. As long as it is not refusing general service, "We can make you a regular birthday cake," it is not discriminating. The religion issue is, I won't make you a wedding cake, it is against my religion which only recognizes male/female marriages. I can make you a cake..but not a wedding cake (this is something I made up, but I think it applies ). There is consistency here. And the ruling is extremely narrow so others will not try to use this to hide discrimination behind religion. Though they WILL try!!!

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

5. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

6. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

What is that movie? Some guy in highschool ways used.to quote that,thought it was original

7. hotwater

Dude we’re talking about the ancient Greeks in 4th century BC who’s views of when boys reach adulthood likely differ from our own.

Besides the statute of limitations on average is about 30 years, so even if some Greek God is still alive after 2000 years I think he’s safe from prosecution.
    Although perhaps he should be forced to register as a level 2 sex offender.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

creepshow? i'm not sure, but it looks like it anyway.

9. hotwater

Exactly it’s Creepshow directed by George A. Romero from Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead fame.

The 1980s were the era of anthologies and Stephen King led the way with 3

10. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Yet you're the one who called it sacred. What they did in the past was in the past. I get that part. What I don't get is calling the relationship sacred.

Cliff Unicorn likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

You're right. The bakery and hardware store are clearly the victims here.

Jesus, I hope I'm never raped so you can turn around tell me if I simply hadn't gone out in a short skirt, men wouldn't have felt compelled to rape me.

la Principessa likes this.
  12. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

13. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And you don't understand why America is hard to be tolerant when you turn buying a cake into the same as being raped.

These are the mountains made from mole hills.

I'm sorry you feel you are entitled to force everyone to accept you.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  14. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

I expect he won't need to give anyone a survey. People who are offended by his signs will stop patronizing him.
    I realize this might seem like a mountain made from a mole hill. But, again, people offended by the baker's proscriptions may choose not to patonize him.

15. Maccabee

Well then don't go to his store then. He had the sign up before and slightly changed to effectively "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and then when the ruling came down put the old sign back up.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Clearly its everyone's right to refuse to serve anyone they want...if their religion tells them to be intolerant of others.

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Totally agree and I have ZERO problem with that.

18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Suppose they refuse to serve bible believers? I imagine you’ll feel it’s wrong, then.

19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I can hardly wait for the Muslims to get sued for not serving pork or not serving Jews.

20. Maccabee

This goes for anyone in my opinion. Not just for religious beliefs.