The First Artificial Life Forms are Here Now...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skip, Dec 17, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Scientists have now succeeded in bringing to life artificial DNA, completely made in the laboratory from basic elements. In addition they can now program a new lifeform on the computer to do whatever they want it to do and Voila! instant life form.

Does anyone remember the story of Pandora's Box? Well this is it!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/16/AR2007121601900_pf.html

Enjoy what time you have left as a "Natural" being on this planet. We will soon be overrun by artificial lifeforms bred for "God (doesn't) know what purposes"...

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

They're not really creating life, they're modifying other lifeforms.

You can't just assemble a bunch of elements, zap it with a lightning bolt, and expect the thing to climb off the table like in a Frankenstein movie. It doesn't work that way.

You can't create the lifeforce itself.

x

3. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Did you bother to read the article? Things are much further along than you realize.

Here's one quote:
    "And while the first synthetic chromosome is a plagiarized version of a natural one, others that code for life forms that have never existed before are already under construction."

Do I need to spell it out further?

4. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Oh, I am sure they are 50 years ahead of this even! As if they will announce true cutting edge technology to everyone...most people are kept in the dark as to how advanced things really are.

Anyways, this and the microchips (verichips, which are being used in Barcelona Spain for VIP members of a certain club for instance), amoung other things, are meant to blur the line between humans and robots. This comes as no surprise to me with all the movies being released, such as I robot, Terminator, etc., to get us used to the idea that we can become super human. It is a form of "predictive programming." Also, this new technology will be introduced slowly to lessen the shock, but again, things are far more advanced than the story says.

The verichips will come into the mainstream soon, and be marketed as cool, convenient and the thing to do, to be accepted.

5. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

why not?

6. xexon

Because it comes from beyond the physical realm.

x

7. Rael

Rael The Ruiner

One of the last things that they said was pretty frightening, that the microbes are dependent on "a rare nutrient not found in nature"(Makes me wonder what that could be.). I'm curious as to how much is based on work done by them and how much is computer computations or work done by others that they're piggybacking on. All in all, honestly it sounds like it could be extremely beneficial for curing illnesses/disabilities, But since it seems their main intention is to make a new form of fuel and that patents are flying around everywhere already, it just looks like it will be a new cash cow for the corporate giants...

Pretty interesting read, though

Jurassic Park anyone?

8. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

I heard that they're actually trying to clone dinosaurs anyways. I'm pretty sure I heard that on the radio not too long ago.

9. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

Sounds exciting, actually. I wonder what kinds of things they're going to make? It should be interesting.

And honestly, the whole 'you can't reproduce the lifeforce' thing-- get over yourself, you're not that special, and neither is anyone else.

10. xexon

I'd like to see them clone dinos as well. I've gotten tired of watching the movie.

Just think, you could sit and watch them on CNN when one gets loose and tears up downtown.

We could send in Geraldo Rivera to report. With any luck, he would get eaten. :)

x

11. Rael

Rael The Ruiner

Nah, He'd just tell the T-Rex what the miltary's offensive is gonna be...[​IMG]

12. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

Hey does anyone remember that eighties cartoon called 'The Wuzzles'? They had a Bumblelion and an Eleroo and a Butterbear. A fuckin' butterfly bear!

Obviously, this cartoon was created so that one day the idea of such creatures would be acceptable to the general public. Little do they know, the military fully intends to use Butterbears in combat. They're going to flutter around with their beautiful wings, distracting the enemy while at the same time using their paws to swat the fuckers heads off!

13. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Looks like the world of Gattaca is coming true.

14. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Better pump up your immune systems, you’re going to need them!
    Thanx, Skip very interesting.

15. peacechicka1

peacechicka1 Member

Thanks Skip. This kind of makes me angry...instead of trying to further their search for cures they are trying to make A.I. humans. Whatever happened to being natural? Goodness!

16. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

I'm constantly torn on the whole what should we cure/try to cure thing.....

What's the quote again? We're coming up with all the right technology for all the wrong reasons....

17. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Our technology is evolving faster than our wisdom.

18. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

19. Mr. Melty

Mr. Melty Member

...you're kidding right? it's a bunch of tube sculptures.

20. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor