The Buddha

Discussion in 'Conscious Bible' started by indescribability, Jul 27, 2006.

1. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

"I teach one thing and one thing only: suffering and the end of suffering"

The Buddha believed that our purpose was to end our suffering, and believed that this could be accomplished, in part, by letting go of our wants and desires. That only when we became content with ourselves and our life could we truly find the path to enlightenment.

The Buddha also taught that we should find our own truth, much like we are trying to do by starting COOL. I think this is one of the most fitting quotes I've ever read in regards to our mission.

"Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
    and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto"

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Absolutely! I'm not one to accept things on faith. I like to see or experience the proof. The existence of a conscious "God" is probably the most difficult thing to prove, but then again, isn't the proof all around us?

As for anything else, I think everyone should accept only what they feel right about accepting.

Since we are involving the teachings of so many masters and religions, there is no way to say definitively "this is acceptable to US, this isn't". It's more like what is acceptable to YOU.

This is true freedom of religion.

I think the experience of sharing our beliefs, our ceremonies and our fellowship is the most important part of COOL, not any single belief or system of belief.

The Buddha has much to offer us. Especially since he became a self-realized being. His message is that we can all achieve enlightenment/nirvana. No one of us is anymore capable than anyone else of achieving that goal. We are just at different points in our spiritual evolution.

I look forward to what others have to say about the Buddha.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

3. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  4. J66Nelsen

J66Nelsen Guest

"After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
    and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto"

I think that this is what first attracted me to Buddhism. After I learned more, I discovered that I could use the experiences of wise people from the last 2600 years and not have to believe everything that they said.

5. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

and yet, if one was to have a conversation with the buddha himself, her would say something like "every path leads to the same place." to think that we can achieve enlightenment solely by means of our own wisdom and understanding is nothing less than shallowness and superficiality. in my opinion, it is neccesary to allwo oneself to be influenced by that which is in us and around us in order to achieve enlightenment. in that way we can absorb all which the universe has to offer and decide that will serve us best. Paisley skye.

6. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Where did the Buddha state that " every path leads to the same place " !

What he meant was not to fall for superstitious thinking, which will lead one to endless mazes instead of the destination.

Apply your reason and intuition without blind faith, and find out for yourself which is true and false through study and contemplation, and then adhere to it.

7. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

whole thread wrong - supply quotes for any statement made supposedly by buddha - he had thousands of pages of writings in his own words - the most chronicled philosopher in human history with 50 years solid of teaching 'the dharma' which is not a 'just go out and figure shit out for yourself' sort of thing

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The muses of the Budda has many merits - as many philosophers of faith have
    My view = Take all that is said and consider such - and employ that witch your conscience gives solace

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

sugata is name of muse of buddha