the absolute beginner-got a guitar for my birthday thread

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by drumminmama, Nov 22, 2005.

1. rahulb

rahulb Member

Things get confusing for me and I do not see any such difference in the online communities from the persons I interact with. Everybody seems to have a difference in opinion when it comes to availing a teacher for learning the guitar basics. I have just got my new C. F. Martin and am dying to play tunes in it but the argument carries on, I guess self help is the best anyways.:) Again thought some jazz guitar lessons would help me in my cause too.

2. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A few thoughts...

• Don't forget to check YouTube for free online lessons. There are gazillions of 'em out there, ranging from useless to perfect.
    • The software "Audacity" is great for slowing down a song to figure it out- you can find the lead you want to figure out, slow it down to the speed you want without affecting the pitch of the notes, and set it on repeat to practice.
    • Don't be afraid to terminate a teacher if the person isn't "the right teacher for this specific student." Personally, I needed a very different sort of teacher when I started, but became friends with the instructor and didn't "fire" him when his instruction approach didn't work well.
    • If you don't think you're progressing fast enough, double your daily practice time. If still not satisfied, double it again. Most good guitarists that I've asked claim to practice 8-20 hours per day consistently for at least the first decade or two of playing.
    • Don't listen to me, I'm a terrible player :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

No one with any life at all can practice for 8-20 hours every day.

4. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think it was John Frusciante (sp?) who said he practiced in the range of 16-20 hours per day, depending on how much sleep he sacrificed that night. But yeah, that means no job, no school, and no life. I really regret that in my younger years, I actually thought I could get by with a half hour a day. That's kind of amusing now...

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

There's one specific problem with lessons from the internet - can you guess it? You have to stop often to scroll page, forward, reverse page, etc.

Also, regarding getting hooked on tabs. Have no fear. For one thing, few tabs are complete.

In that regard one of the best free sites is "Lick by Neck." http://www.lickbyneck.com/

Also, grab the Guitar Method series by Hal Leonard. They make learning to read music pretty darn simple.

6. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I have taught before, a couple of chinese girls came by to hear me play one time, the another day they came for a lesson, but the strangest thing was that they were more interested in talking, so we talked for hours.
    but I still got paid. :))

7. Michael Starless

Michael Starless Member

By far the best one is songsterr.com like really I tought myself with this website