Thank you, sanjay gupta

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by DdC, Aug 22, 2013.

1. DdC

DdC Member

THANK YOU, SANJAY GUPTA
    by Ed Rosenthal on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I first learned of the medical use of marijuana in the early ’70s when a girlfriend tried it for cramps after reading of Queen Victoria’s use in a NORML ad. By 1996, when Prop. 215 passed in California, I had seen miraculous cures and relief of symptoms for all kinds of serious conditions experienced by clients at Dennis Peron’s dispensary in San Francisco.

Since the advent of the Internet, anyone with the slightest interest in marijuana as medicine could easily find hundreds of studies, anecdotal evidence, and other reports showing marijuana’s efficacy for many medical conditions.

However, Sanjay Gupta, as a celebrity doctor, was probably inundated with unsolicited reports, articles, personal testaments, peer-reviewed experiments, and O’Shaugnnessy’s: The Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice, as well as people who tried to engage Dr. Gupta in a discussion of the medicine—perhaps even some of his friends or college buddies, perhaps a few doctors. I would venture to guess that the collected pile of papers, books, and magazines he received over the years reached to his office ceiling. He would believe none of it.

In the 17 years since medical marijuana was legalized he stood firm as opposed to or undecided about the herbal medicine despite the mounting evidence. I can’t say he never looked at the issue, but he remained adamant in his opposition to medical marijuana.

He’s just apologized to the world for his misguided opinion — it was all the government’s fault. All the NIDA and DEA propaganda had him bamboozled, so bamboozled that he had no doubts about his blind opinion—not even enough doubt to pick up a research paper, or the government’s patent on CBD as medicine, or the many articles about its use for AIDS and MS.

Almost everyone I spoke with about this was overjoyed at Dr. Gupta’s mea culpa. One gave him a B+ and another a C. I haven’t bothered to listen to it, because I’m way ahead of Sanjay. I knew marijuana was medicine decades ago. However, when you get over your happiness that the doctor has finally agreed with your diagnosis, you will see that he placed himself in a very difficult position and inadvertently stained his own reputation.

The doctor’s claim that he has just seen the light is hard for me to believe. He must be living in the same isolated tower where you can find the Supreme Court members. Even so, we will take him on his word. That means that for the last 17 years (or more — I’m just counting since California went medical) he had no interest in spending a few hours doing a little research on his own. He disregarded Dr. Grinspoon’s book, Marijuana Reconsidered. He disregarded all the personal testimonials people sent.

So let me ask you a question. After seeing how long it took him to come up with a partially correct answer on marijuana, would you trust him as your personal doctor? It took him so long to accept a medicine that his patients (that is, his listening audience) already knew was exceptionally safe and very efficacious. Basically, this leaves his medical opinions and knowledge on issues other than marijuana open to question.

As I was finishing this blog, a friend called and said he thought that Dr. Gupta knew marijuana was useful all along but was just looking for the right time to express his thoughts. So, rather than speaking medical truth, he allowed people to suffer. That is not the kind of doctor I would want to treat me.

Then I started thinking about why he did it now if he knew the truth long ago. The answer is obvious — because he had to. The train has already left the station and 21 cars are rolling along, picking up numbers as marijuana speeds toward legalization. He knew he had to jump aboard or be left behind. Imagine that he withheld his approval for another two years; he would be laughed at. He and his opinions would be totally irrelevant.

So thanks a lot, Dr. Gupta. You really roll with the hard issues. With brave people like you leading the way, medical marijuana would be legal in 2116. And when I need a doctor I’ll pass by your name for someone who is both competent and honest.

It’s just too bad Americans have no shame. If so, then Dr. Gupta would have resigned as he apologized. He would spend his time contemplating the number of lives hurt by his shallow reporting and then use his fortune (estimated to be between $10 million and $20 million) doing restorative work.

EVOLVE: WON'T ENDORSE MEDICAL MARIJUANA 'AT THIS POINT'
    August 21, 2013 WASHINGTON
    President Barack Obama does not support changes to the legal classification of marijuana, the White House said Wednesday, despite growing evidence of its medical benefits. White House spokesman Josh Earnest was asked for the second day in a row if CNN chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta's recent reversal on medical marijuana use and apology for misleading the public had had any bearing on Obama's position on the issue. Read the whole post

People More Evolved Than Obama On Pot
    Former President Bill Clinton
    Bill "Didn't Inhale" Clinton has supported decriminalizing marijuana for more than a decade and more recently has spoken out against the war on drugs.

“I think that most small amounts of marijuana have been decriminalized in some places, and should be," he said back in 2000 in an interview with Rolling Stone. "We really need a re-examination of our entire policy on imprisonment.”

The Obama Admin's Anti-Marijuana Manifesto
    Multiple DEA Raids Target Marijuana in Hawaii
    Obama: Drug Legalization is "An Entirely Legitimate Topic for Debate"
    Hil and Gil on the Drug War
    Obombo's Sublingual Attack on Ganja
    One Drug Arrest Every 19 Seconds Oh Gilligan!
    President Obama takes a dump on California
    Obama Doesn’t Need Congress
    Drug Czar linked to deception
    IRS Targets Medical Marijuana Businesses
    Obama spent nearly $300 million busting Ganja ℞ ops.
    The Human and Fiscal Cost of the Ganjawar

Sanjay Gupta, Terribly & Systematically Misled

Marijuana Stops Child's Severe Seizures

Catch 22²

NIDA's Nutty Nora's Tax Paid Gossip ecp

Feds arrest hundreds in MS-13 gang,
    Massive Texas SWAT Team Raid
    Destroys 17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1uT5wkSaY"]Dr. Sanjay Gupta Response - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U"]Dr Sanjay Gupta's CNN Special "WEED" - YouTube

Sanjay Gupta, Terribly & Systematically Misled hipforums

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

It's now Ganjay Supta. :2thumbsup:

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Thanks for nothing,,

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah.. I totally don't get how marijuana can be considered a schedule 1 drug with no medical benefit when cocaine is schedule 2.
    Makes no sense and honestly if cocaine can be considered schedule 2 then so should every single one that was listed in what orison posted as schedule 1 (with mj being schedule 4 or 5)... but the rest should not be schedule 1 either because every single one of those listed DOES have a medical benefit.

5. DdC

DdC Member

Incredible Impact of Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Special
    CN: Tony Newman Huffington Post August 21, 2013 W.D.C.

A little over a week ago, Dr. Sanjay Gupta aired a one hour CNN special on medical marijuana. The impact of his special and an op-ed that he wrote for CNN - where he apologized for his past opposition to medical marijuana - has been incredible!

In the run-up to Gupta's CNN special, his op-ed made national news and was shared more than half a million times on Facebook. Just a few years ago, he came out against medical marijuana. Yet in his op-ed he expressed regret for not studying the issue more closely and for believing the government's propaganda. Read More...

More Than 100 Seek To Open Medical Marijuana Shops

Cheech and I are hangin' w/ one of the coolest dudes around: @drsanjaygupta! pic.twitter.com/69uyDvFbTm

[​IMG]

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

more meaningless weed news ..

[​IMG]