Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Jethro Tull is playing at Wolf Trap in September.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What MaryJane69 probably really means is that we can't see them live in concert as in their heyday.. That's indeed a bit of a pity. Certainly with a lot of metal and rock 'n roll bands. They just loose it live after a couple of decades.

3. Asmodean

As long as its not called Trivium or sounds like them I'm happy for you too :-D

4. fundoo

fundoo Members

I'll listen to any era of music, including classical (baroque being a favorite of mine), but I'm primarily 90s and early 2000s generation (when rock was making a comeback in pop stations).

This is cool! I actually saw FM, one of my first concerts. It was FAN-TAS-tic!

MaryJane69 likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, we do have one thing in common.

I used to really hate Trivium, really really hate them

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, and Im so over going to see bands that are 30 years past their heyday

7. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Nah, they are a neoclassical power metal band with a vocalist that sounds like Michael Kiske. But I necessarily don't mind Trivium, actually.

Asmodean likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Suffocation! :imp::imp::smilingimp::smilingimp:

9. Asmodean

4 things already! Star wars, Star trek. We both think we have a below average ecological footprint (although I'm not sure you're right about yours). The fifth will be black metal.

Me too. But very happy I saw Sabbath with Ozzy in 2005 or so. Would not have missed that. Hawkwind and Pentagram also.
    Oh yeah, and Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention. But they performed just as great. Folk rock can do that easier.

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I saw sabbath in 73 Liverpool stadium The best venue of all time
    upload_2018-2-18_10-4-31.jpeg
    [​IMG]

Asmodean likes this.
  11. Asmodean

Lucky bastard! Couldn't have had more fun than me though. I just saw a pic of me at that Sabbath concert only just the other day: a friend whatsapped it to me because he found it funny: sunburned, stoned and intensely happy lol
    Good times :grinning:

12. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

As a matter of interest look at this ! ( used to go there a lot in the 70s )
    Nerve Magazine - A Short History of Liverpool Stadium

13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

when people hear music they like they want to hear it again

from time to time friends or media expose them to more music and if they like any of it they want to hear it again

same goes for shagging

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Not me, I'm bored of all the shit from the 80s and 90s

15. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Why should I move on, when our current times only offer us shit like reality show "artists" (Idol/X-Factor), and white rappers? Even the metal and rock bands fail to captivate me like Judas Priest, WASP, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Queen, Mötley Crue, Mötorhead etc. once managed to do. It's not that I don't listen to the new stuff, but their sound is seriously just lacking that combination of melodies that I like to hear. Music today just sounds cheaper. The studios have too much say on what gets played on commercial radio, and the current rock bands feel too safe and sanitized, completely lacking that brutal aggression of the past era that managed to sound really dirty in a really good way.

16. Asmodean

You're just getting old dude.

If you really believe this is the only shit current times have to offer you are simply fooling yourself.

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

It's weird how some songs just don't age well. There are certain songs that I used to love, but now seem so boring and dated, and others from the same time period that I never seem to tire of hearing.

Like Mr. Brightside. I don't think that song will ever get old.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I heard a new The Killers song on the radio the other day and was thinking how relevant their sound still seems. Which is a bit odd, because I seem to recall when they initially came out, I enjoyed the songs but I felt like it was kind of chic and not really a sound that was going to date well. I suppose in a way, they were ahead of their time ushering in the new new wave sound that has been somewhat of a staple for music coming out this decade.

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

See? This what I'm talking about.

With bands like MGMT and Tijuana Panthers and Ex Hex out there--none of whom are reality show stars or white rappers--I have no idea why people would reject any and every thing modern. But, to each their own.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

That's kind of how I feel about the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs...thought they were going to be this trendy flash in the pan kind of thing, but their music is freakin' timeless.