Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What is it with that thing with some people that they kling to the music of their teens

Most post teen people I know do it.

My mum all she listens to is ABBA and Fleetwood Mac.

One of my neighbours in in his 70s, and all he listens to is 40s shit, Nat King cole etc.

Guys my age that still stick to 80s stuff, that wont budge past Van Halen or AC/DC

I like my 80s stuff, but in the 90s really got into Soundgarden, Alice and Chains etc, and this Decade got into the likes of Disturbed

Bullet for my Valentine is my latest, their latest album was a real good one and I've been listening to that heaps over the last couple of months

What is up with that?

2. caliente

caliente Senior Member

I don't know why people do it, but they do. It's not a problem.

3. odon

odon Slightly Popular

It is if every time you step in a friends care you are greeted with Nirvana.

4. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

lol...I like Nirvana. However I don't like the music of my youth. I more so like the music of my parents youth. IMO nothing good came along after the mid 80's.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or the ones that go on about The Beatles, they were pretty much just a boy band, like N'Sync, just that they were the first.

Their songs are childlike and annoying, and they couldnt play live for shit

6. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Oh, I still like music from my youth. But you have to balance it with music from today or from other periods. I like to mix it up a little.

Not true.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

at some point i started turning the volume down when ac/dc came on the radio or now i change the station...the reason i listen to the cbc here[canada] is cause everyday its different..you have to wait months and even years till the same song comes on twice and cbc radio two is even better

8. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

The Beatles couldnt hear themselves playing due to the noise from the kids screaming.
    Beatles childlike? Ever listened to Helter Skelter?
    If they wre a boyband,at least they wrote and actually played their instruments.

9. standingseated

standingseated A Back Scrubber

It's rare that I find new music that I like these days. I'm stuck in the 90s. I really only like 70s and 90s music, by and large. There are a few 80s bands that are good, and a few from the 00's...

10. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Exactly, and it was GOOD MUSIC, not shit like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qION1RGxze0
    You never caught the Beatles doing a bunch of choreographed junk at their concerts...
    (The end of Magical Mystery Tour doesn't count :p)

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's called preferences. And yeah, those may be influenced by nostalgia (and many other things as well). I love music from all times myself but it's pretty logical not everyone does that. I myself have noticed that I listen the least to music from the 80's, but I couldn't care less from what year it comes. Only good to put a certain sound or band in perspective if needed or to know they're still fun to see live.
    I really dig todays music scene even if I don't like to listen to most of it. There's so much I don't have to. Lots of funky, groovy, psychedelic and rocking stuff out there! :cheers2:

12. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

Ive been listening to stuff from the 60s,ever since I was a kid.Even when i was buying records by Slade and The Sweet in the early 70s,I still prefered groups like The Beatles,Stones and even The Monkees.
    90% of my music collection is from that wonderful decade.The only artist I like now who releases new stuff is Paul Weller.

13. zillagod

zillagod Member

I like Q107 out of Toronto, but then again, I know one of the dj's there, Andy Frost. As for me, yeah, I am stuck in the 70's. I wont listen to new music of today, unless it is from a band from the 70's. There are a few exceptions, but mainly, it is 70's rock for me.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I listen to all kinds of music from many eras, but popular stuff from my teen years will always have a special place in my heart because it brings back so many good memories of important and emotionally intense moments in my life. It's like going home again. You can't beat that.

Are you fuckin' serious? Have you really listened to their album tracks? :confused: Sure, Paul wrote some mindless commercial shit to sell singles, but John was phenomenally original and innovative when he had the green light to do so on the other tracks. The albums sound less ground-breaking today only because their stylistic elements have been so widely imitated. Imitation is the ultimate compliment for one artist to pay to another. Compared to what came before the Beatles, Lennon's writing is clearly on a higher level of sophistication.

Too old for you? Nirvana is too new for me. ;)

15. caliente

caliente Senior Member

LOL ... that was my reaction, too.

I'll argue that Paul was just as creative and innovative.

"Yesterday", "Blackbird", "Hey Jude", "Here Today", "Jenny Wren" ... songs at the absolute top of the alltime pop heap. Yes, he produced some crap, but so did John. But then hell, not everything Mozart wrote was a winner, either.

Lennon and McCartney were both incomparable geniuses, in their own way.

"Boy band", indeed ... ROFL.

16. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I just really meant my friend listens to the same music he did when he was younger. It could have been a No. of other things as he also listens to John Lennon an awful lot.
    It is a bit of a problem if you are greeted with the same music all of the time.

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Maybe - in a different way. It isn't easy to write songs that sell in the millions. Many have tried and failed. Some of Paul's melodies stick in my head when I don't want them to, some that I don't even like.

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I was just kidding around with you. :)

19. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Oh. :rolleyes:

20. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Nirvana came along in the late 80's. NIN came along in the late 80's. Thats all I can think of.

I hate most new bands. They have no emotion in their music. Its cliche and tasteless. Any new band I like is just a side project of an already famous musician (Black Light Burns and Scars On Broadway).