Starting a farm

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I am looking for advice on starting up a farm. **very small scale farm**

I'm saving up now so my plan is to buy a house,maybe a fixer upper with large yard for animals. I want a goat,pig,rooster,chickens, and of course my dog and cats. Maybe even a horse.

I told my friend about this and she asked if I'd consider a commune. Yeahhh,no. Once upon a time,yes,but I'm not down to deal with people's drama. I may welcome couch surfers,but eh. They would have to work the farm.

So just animals. Im even thinking about having foster kids there. This is not something that is going to happen right away . This will be couple years in the future.

Anyone have something like this going on? Do you have tips on taking care of the animals? I will also try growing some fruits and vegetables. Maybe a pumpkin patch!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Animals are very expensive to keep unless you are off-setting the cost by breeding to sell or having them sold for meat...

Lynnbrown likes this.
  3. RainyDayHype

They'll be Pets. No killing or breeding. Maybe I can have a petting zoo. Possibly sell eggs.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That was what I figured... and that's why I mentioned the cost.

5. RainyDayHype

I'll start with chickens

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is hard work, even growing fruit and vegetables on a small scale can take up several hours a day and unless you have greenhouses everything will be seasonal, leaving you with very little in the winter months.

Animals are even more difficult. They require 24/7 care, making even a day out a problem. If you breed them, you will require veterinary assistance and not all animals live together. Also the need for enough land to forage them may be a lot greater than you think. As others have mentioned, the animals will become pets and slaughtering them will not be pleasant. It is also a professional task, you can't just clout them on the head with a hammer, even if you wanted too. Then chickens have to be plucked, their inner's removed and the blood disposed off, while larger animals require a professional butcher. Then you have to store the meat, so that will require a commercial cold-store.

Sadly, your dreams are a far cry from reality.

The horse, cats and dogs, along with a few laying chickens are a great idea. Growing SOME fruit and veg is also practical. Possibly a few goats for milk.
    But beyond that everything will be thwart with problems and will not be cost effective.
    Imagine the cost of keeping and feeding a cow for 2 years, then it contracts a disease or dies, then costs you £500 to get the corps removed and incinerated.

morrow likes this.
  7. RainyDayHype

I'm in no way slaughtering animals. I've already said this.

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You could grow the food the chickens eat . They like some grain , which one could also
    grind for bread-making . Compost their poops . Protect their nests . Read chicken poems .

RainyDayHype likes this.
  9. RainyDayHype

99eb48051d73bdc3d51946d5d5e6a4c0--peter-rabbit-book-illustrations.jpg

10. If you see me wander naked on all fours onto your farm and eat a chicken, please don't shoot me.

11. RainyDayHype

Might use a sling shot

12. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

get ahold of the book 'five acres and independence' (M.G. Kains), it might be nearly 100 years old (first published in 1935), but the theory's still sound, and it'll give you starting ideas for a small scale farm.

Asmodean and RainyDayHype like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Goats are life goals

I plan to buy some land in the next 10 years too. But i don't have a ton of advice. I've never kept livestock before and my thumb is pretty black, although we have done a small garden the last few years to some success. Gardening is trial and error. Keep trying. Do a compost heap, it will give your plants wings. Free range chickens sound like a good idea but hawks like chickens that arent in enclosures, especially smaller breeds (is it called a breed in the chicken world?) or young ones. I learned that from a friend of mine

Thats all i've got

14. RainyDayHype

Yes,I think I will start with couple of chickens and a pot belly pig. Goat is the goal lol. I basically just want lots of animals to hang out with..and seriously considering a petting zoo. I could locally travel with the animals to kids parties or maybe even have my home to host parties.
    We can have a Hipforums meet up there.. x_x

Meliai likes this.
  15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

It's doable. I used to know a guy who kept two jersey cows as pets. He never bred them or milked them; he certainly never ate them. But caring for livestock that don't make you money is an expensive hobby. I'd start with some laying hens and a garden. Even if you have more than you can eat, you should be able to sell some eggs and fruits and veggies at your local farmer's market. It's a noble goal to want to care for some animals and expect nothing in return from them, but unless you're kind of rich, it can be expensive.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We had fifteen acres with a stream and pond.

We refused to get any animals except cats, geese, and ducks.
    Chickens must be penned at night or they will be dead in the morning. They also need heat in the winter, a light bulb may work in a small coop.

We had geese, embden and toulouse, because they don't need to be fed as they eat grass and they are pretty hardy. However they need to be penned at night or they will be dead in the morning. We had a pond which they retired to at night so predators couldn't get them. Although I believe snapping turtles can take one down.
    Same with the ducks, we had Pekins. Ducks will eat bugs and pond stuff.
    Both need water for their health (a small kiddie pool will do).
    Domestic geese and ducks can't fly.

We still lost the ducks, they just disappeared and a raccoon got one goose.
    Also the ducks never shut up...used to drive me crazy with all that quacking going on.
    Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack and quack!

In the winter when the pond froze we had to put the geese and ducks in the garage over night. The barn had too many access points for predators.
    Predators are dogs, raccoons, coyotes, bobcat, foxes, etc. We had all of them.
    Geese can live 20 years and can be very territorial George goose used to attack my wife constantly, she would grab him by the neck and throw him away from her, then he'd recharge.

Goats need protection from predators also, many people recommend a donkey in the same pasture as donkeys will ward of coyotes.
    Horses and donkeys need a clean water supply, pasture, oats, etc.

One of my co-workers had her front bumper eaten off her car by her goat.

All that being said...have fun!

Lynnbrown, GLENGLEN, Asmodean and 2 others like this.
  17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

And the damn raccoons got all our melons. I had chicken wire over top them to keep them out and the little buggers just reached through the holes and hollowed out over twenty melons in one night.

They can get really nasty.

wilsjane likes this.
  18. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

for composting - earthworms!

and talking about critters getting your veggies... gah. I set out some tomato plants earlier this year, and wondered why i hadn't been getting fruit? there's a squirrel the size of a cantaloupe (not counting his tail!) that's been raiding my plants. and he's not exactly fat... he's just /huge/ - but even the local feral cats won't mess with him.

19. quark

quark Parts Unknown

If you're hiring for the position of "loveable barnyard horse" I'll drop off my resume.

rollingalong likes this.
  20. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

My first farm chore at age 9 was feeding and watering the chickens . I left the farm at age 20
    to hitch-hike about the country . One of my favorite little stops was at old woman's farm and
    there would study her chicken flock foraging about for insects and tasty greens . Two roosters
    were with the hens . While one ate with the gals , the other would be looking all about for
    danger , and they'd trade off doing that . She also had a clever and loyal little dog who was friendly
    to the chickens , or just as well - may not have been much interested in them at all . The farm
    had strong family feeling .

Me and a rainbow dog have been camping at the old farmhouse where I was raised . My
    brother the farmer lives down the road ; the old folks are gone .

rollingalong likes this.