Star Wars: The Last Jedi’

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by hotwater, Dec 17, 2017.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

“Star Wars” fever has taken the box office by storm as Lucas film’s latest installment, “The Last Jedi,” has posted an opening weekend of $220 million. That’s the second highest opening of all-time behind the film’s 2015 predecessor, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,”

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film and I'd like to know your opinion of it prior to screening it next Thursday.

[​IMG]

ZenKarma likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I just got back from holidays, cant believe I havent seen it yet and doesnt look like im going to get a chance till end of the week.

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I saw the standard version. Still plan on seeing the 3d version soon.

I saw a different movie than the supposed star wars fans that say they hate it.

Wasn't perfect but some funny complaints I have heard...
    Minor to medium spoilers
    Was too different from the other star wars films.(meanwhile tfa is panned the most for being too much like anh)
    Too much comedy (all star wars films had funny moments)
    We never get smokes backstory. (We never got Palpatines back story but you never cried about that) maybe we will get smokes in 20 years.
    I didn't like What happens to luke. (Tough shit, that's what happened to him and it's well within the character of jedi's)

One of the things I always hated about star wars was how they bounce from dogfight to lightsaber battle to ground attacks. And this movie does it the worst of all 9 films. And there are a few other things I don' like about it. However it is still one of the better star wars movies to me.

shoeless joe likes this.
  4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I am the last Gedi

ZenKarma and Orison like this.
  5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I am the last peni

6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

We should make a film pens

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

About a Jedi getting his GED?
    Or a gedi getting his peni?

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm not sure, al long as the Dark Side finally wins...

Well it's only a film.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Fucking 9 movies...how did it not happen at least once in that time.

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Seeing as planet Earth is slowly becoming the Death Star, it would seem appropriate.

ZenKarma likes this.
  11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

These box office figures paint a false picture which is a result of cinemas moving over to digital projection.
    In the past, each copy of the film cost £1000 to print (£5000.for 70mm) which meant that openings were staggered across the country as the prints were transferred. Today a film can open nationwide on the same week end.
    The real test will be the gross takings for the first 12 months.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

It's a good escape movie and really entertaining. My only complaint was how the empire unrealistically waited so long to destroy the rebel fleet. I'm planning on seeing it again on Imax.

ZenKarma likes this.
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont think I realized until this movie how much my love for the original trilogy had to do with Harrison Ford

At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy stuck in his youth, hollywood doesnt seem to have found in the last 20 years a bankable action star the calibre of Clint or Arnie or Ford. The Rock is no Arnie and Statham or Vin Diesel certainly aint no Clint.

Yeah good film, but without Ford carrying at least half of it, it was a curious feeling

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Also, got to say, expected more from the guy that made Looper, it was good, but it wasnt knock your socks off trippy

15. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Well, here's my two cents...

BEST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER!!!!

A plot that worked, acting was great, especially from the iffyness of Mark Hamill....(did he go to acting school finally???)

The sound track and sound effects were awesome, and well done.

Considering JJ Abrams did the executive producing, there was little glaring lens flare, which has been so bothersome in his previous films (maybe he went to directing school finally!!!!).

I had no idea that Carrie Fisher had completed filming her scenes before she passed, and she did an excellent job playing an old dowager princess with baggage...what a great role to finalize her varied and interesting career. RIP Carrie. Interestingly they didn't kill her off in the film, but they did kill off Laura Dern who has to be an alien with that neck and nose, very strange... but she has always been a bit strange...

What a show! Hope I haven't given away anything to someone who hasn't seen it yet, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable... like visiting with old friends who've aged somewhat, gracefully.

shoeless joe, Eric! and hotwater like this.
  16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly about Mark Hamill.
    Maybe practicing with cartoon voicing helped him hone his craft. Or maybe luke just acts like someone who can act in his old age.

ZenKarma likes this.
  17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well I saw it and I thoroughly enjoyed it although midway into the movie it did seem to drag on a bit

[​IMG]

ZenKarma likes this.
  18. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I loved it, seriously enjoyed it, better than the other recent installments to the saga. Just wish they made Luke Skywalker more of a stronger character though, and I mean in all the movies in the past as well. He's the son of Darth Vader, so he should be a total bad ass. To me, he never got past the farm boy from Tatoonie image.

shoeless joe and ZenKarma like this.
  19. Haven't seen it yet but some people I know went to see it yesterday. Mixed opinions unfortunately
    One loved it
    one thought it was OK
    two found it boring in bits
    And the biggest star wars fan hated it

ZenKarma likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Perhaps that is why I enjoyed it so much, I have always been a Star Trek fan (especially the Next Generation iteration), and viewed Star Wars as more than a bit juvenile.