Sourdough starter

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, May 30, 2018.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I posted in my blog of how I brought my sourdough starter from Southern California to San Francisco. My host up north was actually planning a departure to Medford, Oregon.
    I told him that according to the sourdough starter literature, the culture changes over time. He wanted to know when it would become San Franciscan. I told him there were too many variables such as feeding schedule and regimen, kitchen conditions like temperature, or nutrients from flour. There are also environmental conditions that can include not only microorganisms in the air, but also contaminants from kitchen surfaces, hands, and whatever the dog scratches and shakes off himself.
    I made killer pancakes with the starter and some Bisquick. Of course, the year I decide to start and keep a sourdough starter is the year I begin serious dieting. Oh well, that's okay with me since I probably should get rid of all the flour that's in the house.
    Anyone here ever work with a sourdough starter? Any stories?