So, the Pope says there's no hell, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Deidre, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm slightly disappointed here, Irms ;) The bible? Satan? No souls in Hel(heim)?

Where do all those souls go of the people who die without glory of sickness and old age?

2. Asmodean

I disagree. God might not enjoy it at all, an unneccesary conclusion imo. It could very well be if there's a God, He/It/She takes this free will and choice thing serious. And several critical humans (including you) actually wish He didn't ;)
    If God would intervene all the time to avoid any discomfort or human caused struggle like war or famine what would be really left of the human experience? Would our free choice and will matter in the same way? Wouldn't He just become an overprotective parent that, although coming from good intent, doesn't allow his children to develop fully by themselves and by learning from their own mistakes?
    And would life all be peachy fine with our lovingly Creator intervening all the time/preventing our gross errors? I can imagine next thing we complain about is our nerve system :p Nasty loving God, letting me experience pain and other discomforts... If He would REALLY love us he would... ;)

I agree.

thefutureawaits and Deidre like this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Great post! This is how I see it, too. Of course, the objective evidence to support this doesn’t exist but it’s just how I feel about it.

4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

That's why its called faith...:smirk:

scratcho and Deidre like this.
  5. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I will post some things I found about it, soon. But some stuff comes from creationist websites. I believe in evolution but some of what I found presents interesting arguments.

I learned recently that Sir Isaac Newton was a devout Christian. Did not know that. It shows that science can coexist with faith in a person’s life.

6. Asmodean

A depiction of the goddess Hel. Made in 1889:
    [​IMG]

I tried to find an older depiction. Later depictions are even more romanticized or tainted with subjective imagination

Deidre likes this.
  7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

A very... Handsome woman, it seems. Er, goddess.

Deidre likes this.
  8. Asmodean

The looks are of course an interpretation of the artist (one of the reasons i added when it was made). But she herself is likely at least as old as the christian concept of hell.
    She’s the goddess of the underworld, which actually consists out of 2 worlds: Helheim and Nifelheim. According to germanic/scandinavian mythology there are 9 worlds including ours (Midgard). Pope Francis might agree to disagree about all this ;) :p

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

He would disagree, sure, but he wouldn't judge someone for believing it. One of the cool things about this pope.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

If it's peer reviewed research I'll check it out, but if it's just creationist websites don't bother.

Newton also lived during a century where scientists could be persecuted if their findings and theories deviated too much from religion, such as Galileo being imprisoned for suggesting the Earth wasn't the center of the Universe... The science of that time that led to Modern Science was just in it's infancy.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Peace, Love and Warm Fuzzies.. Sounds awful I know.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Presumably if those evil attributes were not instilled in us, then our full development would be by however we developed without them.

I don't see why any such attributes and phenomena is a necessity for experiential beings to experience phenomena and be realized. To use an extreme example, to me that sort of arbitrary justification is like saying since some people commit autoerotic asphyxiation, then that phenomena is necessary to be human.

However, if someone believes in Heaven and Hell as actual places, I think I can sort of understand how they might see Evil as a necessary force in the world to test their Free Will and ultimately face their judgement. Without the judgement though, it's not a necessity.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what i think is that nothing human, outside of science, has the slightest idea what might or might not exist.
    hell, as a literal and physically separate place from heaven, is intuitively improbable.
    as is the existence of anything whose sole purpose is to cause suffering,
    or the goodness of anything that wishes to be feared.

(as for the cannons of christian belief, being a non-christian, this is not my problem)
    (there may be a wonderful god and i'm all for that, but i'm much more concerned with how people treat each other and the environment their existence depends upon.
    i like this pope for his recognizing this priority as well.)

14. juggawatta

juggawatta Love

Lots of lolling but then, facts, and I'm dead stone faced again.

15. juggawatta

juggawatta Love

That's all me, my mother sent me to Hell. It's a special place in Hell where it looks nice to severely shallow and blind people.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When experiments fail, they're usually dumped. It he/she/it were to come back now--he/she/it would most likely exclaim--OH MY ME!!! THAT'S NOT WORKING!

We shall see what we shall see.

17. juggawatta

juggawatta Love

What we will see is the complete fulfillment of scripture. To stand before the Lord will hurt very badly.

18. scratcho

That's been said for quite a while by many.

19. juggawatta

juggawatta Love

It's a long process. Step by step we journey toward it as it comes toward us. It's beyond the world's comprehension because there's so much to it. For example, the marriage supper. The bowl of judgement poured out on the sun. The two witnesses who lay dead for three days. The stagnation of the winds. The rising of the dead from their graves. Etc., Etc.

oh, my favorite: the half hour of silence in heaven.

Wanna hear the dark side's version of the wedding supper, accompanied by the raised dead?

20. scratcho

What is your source/ method of deduction?