So, the Pope says there's no hell, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Deidre, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, maybe he has his own ideas about it?

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

True, but then it ceases to be Catholicism.

3. Moonglow181

Progressive....practices what he preaches, maybe?

Deidre likes this.
  4. Moonglow181

But what exactly is Catholicism?
    Isn't the old testament different than the new revised one?
    hasn't it gone through an evolution of its own?

I don't know much about it all...just repeating things I have heard before here.

5. Moonglow181

All I know is that i like this Pope.......

6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

You bring up intriguing points because to me, faith or not having faith, is often a personal thing. So maybe he’s just expressing how he interprets the Bible which many Catholics don’t agree with. Catholicism is pretty structured. I don’t follow it but I once did and what drove me away was the lack of compassion and love in the Church which this pope seems to want to bring. That should be the most important things - love and compassion.

scratcho likes this.
  7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The Catholic church is schizophrenic, with half their congregation living in the developed world and the other half in the underdeveloped world. Unfortunately, conservatives seldom have any good candidates for pope, the church has become infamous for sexual abuse, and they are so desperate they were willing to elect our current pope. Along the same lines as Americans electing Obama, who they never would have voted for in a million years, if they had not destroyed the entire world economy first. And, of course, now they voted in the Duck, because Americans are very slow learners when it comes to figuring out they have become their own worst enemy.

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If I met the pope, I would simply ask him if when I arrive in heaven, I will be greeted by every murderer, rapist and bank robber who has left this planet since time began. No doubt, their will be no terrorists there to greet me. They will all be hiding away somewhere plotting to blow heaven to kingdom come.

On a serious note. Is their truth in the fact that the church over the years has not wanted to deal with the practicalities of the concept of heaven and whether not everyone is admitted, or whether their are heavenly prisons for people who break the rules.

Deidre likes this.
  9. Moonglow181

I hope there is a heaven for people and animals who got the short end of the stick in this life for no reason of their own....but for simply being....I don't wish it for myself, as much, for some reason. i know I am a good person...that is all I need to know.

Deidre likes this.
  10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Back centuries ago, I think the RCC taught that only Catholics go to heaven. But as we can see, new popes ...new teachings. Maybe the next pope will say the earth is flat and hell exists and all the Catholics will bow down. The basic teachings of the RCC are that faith and works will allow you to go to heaven.

wilsjane likes this.
  11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Preaching is a lucrative business. The particulars don't matter to the enthralled. Just that they give and OBEY.

Deidre likes this.
  12. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I would like this a thousand times if I could ...beyond true!

scratcho likes this.
  13. wooleeheron

Go To Hell

Some people don't take criticism well,
    And, often turn a deaf ear to criticism.
    Somehow, you have to get their attention.
    If I met God I would spit in their face,
    And, tell them, I am not amused,
    At what they do for entertainment.
    Either, I get a real explanation,
    For all the ongoing insanity,
    Or God can go to hell.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints,
    And know damned well for myself, who it is I'm fighting for.​

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hey!! Was that a clap of thunder I just heard??

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Some years ago, when asked what happened to people who were not admitted to heaven, the concept started that they would continue to return to earth until they were free from sin.
    This all died a death, when people started asking the bishops if their teachings were confirming reincarnation.

One of my fondest memories of a mass, was the day that after a long Christmas mass, every line of the final sermon was followed by the congregations response "Thanks be to god".
    The final line of the sermon was "Go in peace,mass is over". The congregations final "Thanks be to god", was about 10 times louder than than the previous replies and said by many of the guys as they were already heading for the door nearest to the entrance to the local bar. This combined with the groan in their voice said it all. needless to say, I saw the funny side.

16. wooleeheron

In the beginning, God farted...

17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Do you follow any type of faith, now?

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i grew up as a catholic too. what drove me away was when they made us pray for monetary donations, and when the priest told us we would go to hell if we didn't vote for gw bush. among other things of course, but those two were so over the top that i can't imagine how anyone stayed with them at that point.

this is what i think it all comes down to. everything changes. anything that doesn't change, goes away. if this pope is trying to make his religion make sense to current humans rather than spouting the same shit popes were telling medieval serfs, then i say he's probably the best pope we've seen in a long time. and like i said before, i'm not convinced that this is really anything new. i think it's more of a return to the original teachings before someone decided to use the religion to scare people into submission.

19. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

hahahaha that's hilarious! Well, maybe see if that priest is still around and tell him..."Hey Father, there's no hell, did you hear?"

That could be. I want to say that Gnosticism was the original form of Christianity before Constantine murdered most of the Gnostics. They had similar beliefs to what this Pope teaches. Similar to Jesuits, which is the order that this pope went through. This is why I consider myself spiritual. There are many belief systems out there where I glean a lot of positive things.

20. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Seriously, who could answer that question?