Should I read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by PinkFloydrulez, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Perilless

Perilless Member

Like most other people said, Lord of the rings and then maybe Harry Potter afterwards.

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Harry Potter is a growing up tale surrounding friendship, focusing on one boys development into manhood - a 'coming of age thing'

Lord Of The Rings and subsidiary books is an epic tale of fantasy dreams, imagination and lore with many characters that one can relate to

For me (and many others) it has to be

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZ4RWWku7Y

:)

3. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

Well, I'm gonna be the odd one out here and say that you should read Harry Potter--I've got all seven books, and I've read them all--and I think they're very good!

4. ladylala

ladylala Member

I haven't read any of the books from either series. Lord of the Rings sounds good.

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Start with The Hobbit - I would say that if the world ended tomorrow and you didn't read the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy then you would have missed out. I would not say that for Harry Potter. After LOTR read Dune.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

After the Hobbit and LoTR try the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb! Unless you dig fantasy aimed for kids (nothing wrong with that of course) I'd skip Harry Potter.

7. luvnsurf

luvnsurf Member

LOTR - Definitely.

8. infiltrayshun

infiltrayshun Guest

I couldn't get into litre except for the hobbit which I feel was an excellent book. I read the whole potter series.

9. vinster

vinster penis wrinkle

I have read JRR Tolkiens works very thoroughly, as I have for
    JK Rowling. LOTR is BY FAR the best work of fantasy of all time (the entirety of the stories
    middle earth have no peer IMO). After many readings of both I came to the conclusion: Lord Of The Rings is for adults, and Harry Potter is for children. No offense to Rowling, her works brought an entire generation of teens (and younger children) to love reading. Kudos for that.

10. TheOnionMan

TheOnionMan Member

Late reply, but I say read both. Appreciate each for what it is and what it has to offer and you won't be disappointed with either. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books as a kid, very fast paced and exciting. Light reading.
    I read Lord of the Rings as kid, but didn't really understand it fully till a reread a few years ago. When I was younger I just read it after seeing the first movie, and didn't really absorb all of it.The messages and themes behind the books, which the movie does not convey at all, are deeply inspiring. The beauty of a dying world, and the hope that holds out and rekindles a new world. True friendship in the face of all odds, the machines and furnaces of Saruman. The passing of the Elves, The Grey Havens, and the wonders and beauty of the natural world. Now I understand why Tolkien has stated many times that The Hobbit was meant for children, and the Lord of the Rings for adults. The Lord of the Rings is an immensely beautiful work, and the hype behind it is well deserved. It reads like a novel much older than it actually is, done in the old epic style. Take the time to fully read it, and you won't regret it.

11. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Only the Hobbit.

12. chordcat

chordcat Member

Lord of the Rings = amazing!

13. Daikini

Daikini Guest

As much as I love Lord of the Rings, I'd say to read Harry Potter first. They're really easy to get into and read, whereas Lord of the Rings is kind of hard to get going (at least for me). Harry Potter is also fairly fast-paced; if you really got into it, you could read a whole book in one day, even the longer ones.

14. chordcat

chordcat Member

Lord of the Rings is THE fantasy story most others are based on today. Once you read LOTR you can see the similarities in any other type of high fantasy you read.

15. primalflow

primalflow Member

Thanks for reminding me! I'm gonna go start Lord of the Rings again. Rightful classic.

16. Losty

Losty Member

Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are my favourite books to read.
    Harry Potter gets harder to read and understand with each next book. Lord of the Rings is enitialy harder to read.You will NOT waste your time to read these two.

17. No contest - Lord of the Rings!

18. JackTheChan

JackTheChan Member

Both of course.

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Is this a serious question?

20. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

read the hobbit then lord of the rings