Scientists Using Surfboard Fins to Gather Ocean Data

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by neoprene_queen, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

This is fascinating. Scientists are now using surfboard fins to gather ocean data.

How Surfboards and IoT Are Making Waves in Climate Change Research - Dell Technologies

I'm going to see if I can get in on this. Protection of our oceans is important to me. But I serious limitations with this since the biggest concentration of surfers are in California, Hawaii, and certain places in Australia. I don't know if these studies would be an accurate microcosm for the oceans as a whole. Maybe the future is in bathing suit sensors.

GLENGLEN and Aerianne like this.
  2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

This was a good read. I'm glad people are coming up with creative ways to gather information while at the same time still utilizing a fun hobby and sport.

I Wonder what the criteria would be to get on team of 70. To initially apply looks pretty basic... how many times a week do you surf? 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ,5+. Lost Bird definitely wants the candidates to be 5+ times.

Hopefully Lost Bird won't discriminate against Golden Retrievers from signing up.
    Avery the Golden .png

Off topic: skydivers could utilize the same technology and gather info on ozone at all ranges of attitudes. I did a google search and came up with nothing. Might be an idea that needs a patent before Gene Simmons thinks of it........ or steals it...

neoprene_queen likes this.
  3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

that's called a weather balloon...they also use the for measuring pollution...maybe more accurate than a plummeting sky diver :)....they also send up airplanes with special equipment....

its cool that someone looked at those dudes and dudettes out in the water surfing and figured out a way they can also contribute to society while surfing.....i'm speaking of the stereotypical surfer that doesn't work or contribute in other ways a scientist would find helpful....maybe some scientist dad thought of this for his surfer son who wont get a job :)

4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

You too roll? You and Pen messing with my thoughts and dreams.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah...no, I wish.

Twice a week is a big week for me.

Pete's Draggin' likes this.