Scheduling Conflicts

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by xdianax, Aug 30, 2005.

1. xdianax

xdianax Member

I am entering my junior year of high school, and I just went down to the school to fix a scheduling conflict. I wanted to continue taking art as I have the previous two years, but the honors art class was full as well as only availble during a block when I am taking physics, and my guidance counselor didn't make much of an effort to help me out or try to get me into my alternative choices either. Now I have to take t.v. studio first semester and photography second. Besides the fact that I really really don't want to take the former, and I loathe not being able to be in art, I worry about how it will look on my college application. I never thought that I wouldn't be taking art all four years (studio art 1, studio art 2, honors art, senior honors art), and it appears to the colleges that maybe i wasn't that interested or couldn't commit to something, when in fact I passionately love art. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation, or had any advice, because the news has really depressed me and I am getting angry at the thought of what my junior year now looks like.

In love,

Diana

2. xdianax

xdianax Member

After a few hours of thinking I have decided that rather than take a course I don't like, I will pursue an independent study program with one of the art teachers. Therefore, my question in this thread is rather if others have done independent study, and if they have insight into how detailed a proposal must be submitted, as well as how big should the project be.

:) Feeling better,

Diana

3. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

could you possibly take the honours art in your senior year, in the first term, then the senior honour art in second term?

That's odd that they wouldn't help you out... I remember in our high school my friends and I always got into the classes we had requested. then again, we were in a special program for "smart" people so maybe they were just being overly nice to us so we wouldn't have a nerd riot :p

4. xdianax

xdianax Member

It's probably because my school doesn't have much money, so they were only able to create one honors art class of 26 kids. I know a girl who couldn't take it junior year so she took studio art II again, and was planning to apply for senior honors art senior year anyway. Both honors art and Senior Honors Art are full year courses, and SHA is actually a double block. I e-mailed my old art teacher about independent study, :( but I'm not sure if she'll check her e-mail before the beginning of the school year.

In love,

Diana

5. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Actually, most colleges that I am aware of would consider it better that your life not revolve around art. You are supposed to be gaining some exposure to all areas, not making quite such a big deal about one area. They want to see that you have considered all of the options available because it is a far more serious commitment to shop around then choose art, rather than just focusing on art without giving other options a chance (because, without shopping around now, there's a higher chance that half way thru college you'll take a gen ed course and discover that you love that subject more than you like art, as hard as that may be to imagine now).

6. xdianax

xdianax Member

Really? I am a bit hesitant to enroll in courses that are much different from what I know and like. I have heard that colleges sometimes don't like "well rounded students" who just do a little of everything and don't show a commitment to any of their interests. I'd say my life doesn't revolve around art, and though I love it, I think I'm just mediocre at it. I don't plan on pursuing it in college as a career, but I belong to the art/photo club because I enjoy it, and by doing that and taking art courses, I show that I'm not just doing it to look good on my college application.

I still haven't heard from my former teacher about the Independent Study program, and school starts Wednesday =/

In love,

Diana

7. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

There's a difference between being unable to make up your mind, and broadening your horizons though. If you mostly focus on one thing, but still are learning other things/have other classes, that's probably the best way to do it. At my univ they strongly recommend having electives from teh arts and sciences college (it's actually a requirement to have some classes from there, even when you're in the college of commerce), so I'm taking a bunch of archaeology classes over the next few years, and maybe some english too

8. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

That is most definitely not something any university I've ever heard of would want to hear about a student. Of course, that is limited to what I've heard of, but...

For one thing, as ihmurria said, there is a big difference between not showing a commitment (no more than one or two semesters of basic level art classes, usually not in any sort of art club) and becoming well-rounded, in the sense of being open to new subjects that you don't already know.

Secondly, I have heard of students being rejected from med school, even with a really high MCAT score for being too focused on pre-med as undergrads, not taking any more than the bare minimum of gen ed requirements... The logic of that being that they are more likely to burn out, as well as the fact that they are less likely to be able to relate to patients as a more well-rounded candidate would be... So it goes both ways.

The key thing is, you're still in high school!!! Most college students change their major something like an average of 5 times (and I've known some who changed 8-10 times). You don't need to have your life planned out right now!

If that's the case, then all the more reason not to stress about this!

9. xdianax

xdianax Member

Hmmm well, now that the school year has started, I have discovered that the guidance department completely screwed up most of the schedules, and there are so many other kids with problems. I submitted an Independent Study proposal, but if I don't get in, it's too late to join another elective and I'll be plagued with two study halls a day for the rest of the semester. Apparently, like 15 kids weren't able to get into the Honors Art Class, and so there is a huge number of Independent Study proposals this year. I briefly considered going back to t.v. studio, but after a week and a half, I know it is too late (almost all electives are full). I guess I can just hope for the best, though I fear the reprecussions of my own hesitance.

In love,

Diana