Saying 'man'

Discussion in 'Meme' started by BornHippy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

OK sorry didn't no where to put this. So your've all heard of the burning man or sticking it to 'the man' so that means 'the man' is a bad thing, but then people say ''hey man'' and man alot in a good way. I dont realy get it

2. DiscoPhish

DiscoPhish Member

burning man is a festival...they burn a giant wooden man

as for saying "man" i believe its just another one of those versatile phrases that started in the 60s and happend to stand the test of time. sometimes itll sneak into my vocabulary but i dont say it after every sentence. not that i have anything against people who do, theyre usually friendly :]

3. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

Yea i no what burning man is and i say man alot, its just weird that its used as bad word like you hate the man, you stick it to the man and then you still call your mates man..

4. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

I tend to say "man" frequently still to this day, and not in a negative way tho, Like this normal greeting. Hey, how have you all been? Long time no see, man....;-)

5. DrKlunk

DrKlunk weewoo island

Do you understand that the word close can mean near to something or the opposite of open? Its just how things go. "The man" refers to the powers that be, bringing the working man down. Just because you say "hey man" doesnt mean youre referring to that person as "the man" just like when you say "close the door" you dont mean get close to the door.

6. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

Yea i understand what u mean. Guess i think to much. Though those closes you do pronounce them different at least haha maybe i say 'man' and 'mayn'

7. DrKlunk

DrKlunk weewoo island

Yeah, youre right about "close" being pronounced differently haha. How "man" is interpreted by context clues; like no one would just say man and be referring to THE man xD

8. Whenever someone says "Hey man," to me, I feel like I am this epic embodiment of man. I don't really like it.

9. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I say "man" all the time. And dude. Even when referring to chicks. I've talked like this since I was 9 at least. Mostly because I remember my friends getting mad at me for calling them dudes.

10. shymama8

shymama8 Guest

saying "man" is like saying "dude." like, "c'mon man, let's go!" but when one refers to "the man" its usually the gov't or authority, as in "the man is comin to bust this party up."

11. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

When I was a kid playing around someone's property I would often hear someone shout 'the man' and we'd run.

12. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I think it's as simple as the people you meet on the street, all depends on which "Man" you're referring to. :cheers2:

13. Snootch

Snootch Member

sometimes I like to say mandude

14. anna james

anna james Banned

Can i know as to whats the reason for being Epic, when some calls you as "Hey Man".... There is hardly any thing in that word....

15. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

I think perhaps the use of man in the phrase "the man" probably can be thought of as a shortened version of management.

16. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

That could very well be true. I could definitely see it leaking over as a blanket phrase for law enforcement and government that way as well. They're all managers in a way.

And omg at whoever mentioned the word "mandude". I have a friend that is really bad about starting off an idea with "Hey man, dude you won't believe this." That's in the same category for me as "but, fuck it" and "that's a sweetass car!". No, I don't want to buttfuck your sweet asscar and I'm not a mandude!

17. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

David Bowie had words in his song Suffer Jet City to that effect....:)

18. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I only say manbeast...I never use "man" or "dude" in my daily conversation...unless I'm stoned outta my mind

19. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]words can [​IMG] more than one thing. just had to [​IMG] that out.

20. sourjello73

sourjello73 Guest

I call everybody man. I don't mean to offend people ahaha