Reoccurring nightmares

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Americunt, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

My nightmare is not so much the same dream over and over, but the same monster that shows up every time. It all started because I watched a movie called "The Grudge" about 10 years ago. Ever since then when I have a nightmare, 99% of the time it features that ghost from the movie. The dreams are really vividly detailed, and mess with me because I usually have "false awakenings"- where I think I've woken up from the nightmare, but quickly realize I have not. Another common occurrence with these dreams is seeing myself laying in bed, as if I'm floating way up above myself, while the ghost is trying to get inside my body.

A couple of nights ago I had another dream, but this time it wasn't specifically the ghost from The Grudge, but just a random japanese vengeance ghost (Onryo) called Pumpkin. In the dream I was talking to a psychic who told me that in a previous life, I was Pumpkin, and so I guess that was why she was haunting me. There was a point where I was trying to escape her, and I opened the front door of the house I was in, only to see myself standing at the door, as if I were behind myself. At this point, my brain pulled a hard nope, and I woke up. As I was laying in bed trying to calm down, I noticed that one of my plants had been moved. I tried to get up so I could investigate, except my body wouldn't listen. It was like I was made of wet noodles, and all I could do was flop around the bed, onto the floor. I could hear my boyfriend in the living room, so I called out for him several times but my voice came out muted, like I was a radio with bad reception. It diminished more and more until it sounded like a croak, and at that point thank fucking christ one of my cats jumped up on the bed and meowed at me, waking me up for real this time.

I don't know why this idea was so scary for me, but I've been haunted by it for a decade.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

That sounds terrible.

I'd recommend getting acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine. Vivid dreams or nightmares are sometimes an indication of what is called a "shen" disturbance in the tcm view, and is treatable.

I've had a few episodes of excessive/disturbing dreams, and acupuncture treatments cleared them up pretty quickly.

The only other option that I can think of would be to see a psychiatrist. They might have medication that would help, but I would only recommend that route as a last resort.

Asmodean and Americunt like this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The cause of dreams has always interested me and I wonder how they compare with the illusions that people have reported after a near death experience. The later seem to be connected with points where oxygen levels in the blood were falling and starving the brain of the required amount of oxygen to trigger movement of limbs, a situation where it would not be long before the patient would soon be unable to control their diaphragm and fall into respiratory and then cardiac arrest. It would be interesting to find out if dreams are a mild form of the same situation. Although it is difficult to find out, after remembering a dream some months ago, Jane told me that being a cold night, my head was under the quilt. Can you see any situations where you were in a similar situation, possibly just with the bedroom door and windows closed. Perhaps people who are prone to dreaming should take part in a survey where they wear a pulse oximetry probe at night and record their blood oxygen levels, since their are other possible causes of low oxygen, including shallow breathing while asleep.

Asmodean and Americunt like this.
  4. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

Huh, interesting! I don't know anything about acupuncture, but what I looked up from your comment makes me think there's something worth further investigation at least. My only problem is...I really LOVE dreaming. My dreams have always been vivid, I just hate when they turn to nightmares :tired:

I can't think of any specifically, but I did just talk to my doctor about sleeping issues (my fitbit is showing that I'm a very restless sleeper, only averaging about 4.5 hours a night for the last couple of months), and she said it's possible I have sleep apnea. I'm supposed to have a sleep study done sometime in the near future.

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The whole subject intrigues me. In my dreams I am often in towns that mean nothing to me. Somehow, I seem to suspect that I am dreaming and start looking in detail, seeing the bond of the brickwork, mistakes and alterations. Thinking about it, all these buildings date back to before my birth and their never seem to be cars on the roads. Was I somehow born with this data already in my brain. If not, how did it get there.? We know only a fraction of how the human brain works and I wonder whether understand our dreams would open up a whole new area of science, possibly including what we now call reincarnation. Scientists look at one area and try to make sense of it, perhaps all scientific studies should merge if we are ever to find the true answers.
    Another passing thought. When I am dreaming my way through these strange places, are the people there seeing me as a ghost.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Americunt likes this.
  6. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I haven't looked into this much yet, but I saw a mention of Carl Jung's ideas on collective consciousness archetypes, and thought maybe it's similar to dream symbols and interpretation.
    The appearance of your dream towns reminds me of some of my own dream symbols that I've started recognizing over the years. One of them is what my mind manifests for "college": a rickety, weathered wooden building three stories tall; narrow along the street, and lengthy from the front to the back of the building.

wilsjane likes this.
  7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I suppose you could ask them what kind of results you could expect. At least in principle, it might be possible to still have dreams without the nightmares

8. Melody Ward

Melody Ward Members

Hi there, I have heard that reoccurring nightmares caused due to anxiety. I have heard about psychic reader who helped you in curing nightmares. My friend was also suffering from nightmares and he visited to voyance pure who help him to cure his anxiety and motivates him to stay positive in life.

9. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

Yeah, I could see it being anxiety. I'm pretty good at repressing emotions during waking life.