Recreational dispensery blues

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by MikeE, Nov 29, 2018.

1. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Last week I went to a legal recreational dispensary. (In CA)
    Not happy.
    Too packaged, too closed off, too much hassle.

I'm not going back, but I have found a gardener who doesn't put up with the paperwork. I think I'll continue to get my herb from illegal sources.

Has anyone else given up on the slick corporate legal recreational market?

rollingalong likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I know people frustrated in the medical availability of products here.. But yeah.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Legal here in Oregon. I like the dispensaries for their selection. Plus of course you need to go to them if you vape. But I still like getting it from illegal sources. I know a few recreational growers who are happy to share.

Irminsul likes this.
  4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I went to the indian reservation tonight...they have 30ish dispensaries...seems like every kilometer there is a new one....I avoid anything pre packaged there.....I like to see the nugs in the jar before I buy....not a nug sample that I dont know is the same batch....all the stores have their own outdoor hittig the shelves at 4 or 5 dollars a gram.....high end shit is 10 a gram....much less in bulk

Orison likes this.
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's a hassle just going to the store and buying it? you actually prefer having to call someone you really don't want to talk to, hope they have some, figure out when you're both available, go to their house and hang out for a while so you're not suspiciously walking in and right back out with a full pocket, and then driving home super carefully because you have a misdemeanor in your pocket?

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Apparently I know different gardeners than you do. The interaction is much less fraught than you describe.
    Actually the legal dispensary feels more un-friendly than my friend/associates. Probably because the dispensary is full of marketing friendliness, good people, I'm not knocking the bud-tenders, but they are in a sealed package, new-and-improved strain environment. I'm more comfortable in a I know my grower atmosphere.

Legalized regulation isn't much more fun than illegality.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

When I had a medical card I didn't like that, but then I was never really into pot when I was doing drugs. i was more into lsd and then meth which led me to some grim realities.

Anyway, I had my pot card and I would go to the dispensary and was excited. When I got there it was this nifty process of showing my card and ID, which was official but they would downplay that part of it. I sort of got the impression that maybe they didn't deal exclusively in medicinal sales because they didn't have the same respect for that part of the process that I did. I don't know maybe it just got old for them. For me, it was cool.

I would get into the dispensary and I think it honestly felt like I was being watched, and that made me feel rushed. I didn't care for my experiences with them most of the time, honestly. I would walk away with pot, but not with a good feeling. It was like they didn't exactly want to reward me for being their customer.

There was this one place in Malibu that was really cool. I don't think they are there anymore. But the parking wasn't great. You had to go about 100 yards up a steep-ass hill to get to them, and then they'd buzz you in. Yeah, you had to park in some tight spots there sometimes. :D That place was dope though. It was a long drive from my apartment at the time.

When it comes down to it, I guess they're just like a liquor store though. You can't really expect them to not be a little sketched out. I agree with the OPs feelings of wanting a better relationship, but not with going away from the dispensary. It's not my thing though.

8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

All the dispensaries I have been to in california have been awesome.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Last I got weed in Cali you had to order delivery. Here in WA the dispensaries are usually very busy, but well staffed. There's a place in downtown Seattle that always has lines to the door yet are able to process everyone very fast. And people working in dispensaries are generally very polite and fun and know how lucky they are to have such an awesome job.

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Many people who know and care about weed can not get into the legal market. They have a criminal record from growing or they don't have the huge start up funds. You are left with those who seek profits no matter the product.

I am happy with most of my shops but they are medical only. I don't see that lasting though. Most here are retail only or retail/medical with most resources to retail. At one of my favorites they flat tell me the good stuff is retail only now so I should head over there. For that kind of tax? Hell no. Happier paying like $5 tax on a $100 oz not $45.

11. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

Some of the dispensaries around here are garbage. Too many customers and not enough bud-tenders, product you can't really inspect before buying, bud-tenders that don't know what they're selling, or just too much fancy crap to attract the younger crowds but not all of them are like that. Since the laws have change, a lot of the dispensaries no longer have you fill out paperwork they just scan your ID now.
    It also depends on when you go in to shop. i've been in a few that had no wait time and a few that give you a damn electronic thing that buzzes when it's your turn because there are so many people in there.
    Don't give up on them because you had one bad experience. I was told to leave or put on shoes at the dispensary i had been going to for the last 6 years by a new security guard. he was so rude and didn't let me speak with a manager i decided to not go back. Their loss since the dispensary i went to after that incident has what i need at a slightly lower price and will be getting my money from now on.
    i don't want to go back to waiting on someone all day just to get some medicine. So much more convenient to go to a store and know when i'm buying isn't garbage, low-grade, headache causing crap.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

This sounds very quaint. Around 30 pot dispensaries in one area? Would like to see that :grinning:

13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

close to 50 now according to the loca;l news...it is a huge area though with small clusters of shops

14. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I’d settle for one.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'd even be happy with a reliable black market guy.