Question for those from Denmark (and maybe Sweden)

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Carlfloydfan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Hi, I will be flying into Denmark this summer and hope to stay for a week or two (I am doing a mini euro trip). I also realize, this is a great chance to see Sweden. Now it looks like these two countries are seperated by a tiny bit of water. So how much would a boat from Denmark to Sweden, round trip cost? what is the cheapest way to go from Denmark to Sweden? Or are these two countries connected by a bridge?

Is Copenhagen close to water? Could I go from Copenhagen to the south Sweden relatively easily? I would love to stay in Sweden for a week or two as well.

I must apologize for my ignorance in regards to Sweden and Denmark in this matter, THAT IS WHY I AM GOING :).

Thank you for any advice and tips.

2. Carlfloydfan

I also must say that I CAN NOT wait to check out Denmark!

3. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

Copenhagen and the Swedish city Malmoe are connected by road + railroad. There's a sound in between the two cities named Oeresund.

There's a tunnel from Copenhagen to a small island in the middle of the sound. There's a bridge from Malmoe to that island. I think that sound is 20-25 kilometres broad. :)

Here's the prices to cross:
    http://www.oresundsbron.com/prices/?products=28,29,30,31&menu=808&group=12

Love,
    -wolf- :)

4. Carlfloydfan

Okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but could I rent a bike somewhere in Denmark and ride across the bridge and stay in Sweden for a week? It would be a good experience and good exercise too.

For someone as broke as me, 35 euros by car is a lot to cross a bridge.

I know in paris they have places where you can rent bikes for a given amount of time to get around easier and it costs next to nothing.

5. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

It's not a dumb question. :)
    I have googled some sites, but I have seen no hits where to rent bikes that you can cross borders on... :-/

Anyway... You can't cross the bridge between Copenhagen and Malmö, Sweden, since it's a motorway, but there's also a rail-connection. You can bring a bike on a train (for a small fee).

If you don't want to bring your own bike to Denmark, you can go and visit some of the police stations in Copenhagen. Police stations in Denmark store stolen bikes, and they make flee markets or sell them at auction for cheap prices. Danes are so used to get their bikes stolen that they often don't even bother to claim them back when they're stolen...
    A police station typically store 100's of stolen bikes for sale!

love,
    -wolf-

6. Carlfloydfan

hey, I emailed you a few questions via PM, hope you get em sometime

thanks so much!