Pruning for bigger buds

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by jellolover, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jellolover

jellolover Guest

Hi All!

A friend of mine is telling me if I cut 30/40% of the branches on my plants I will get much bigger buds on the remaining limbs. I was wondering how true this is and if there is a good technique for this trimming.

Cheers

2. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

that is correct by trimming off anything that will in the end only amount to pop corn size buds more energy is available to the bigger buds.

anything below bottom third is fair game trim off any branches that are weak or whimpy or are shaded and are not gonna come to much. now you can do the same on the branches that are left trim bottom third of them in the same manner.
    hope that helps

3. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Kind of, but that's not the full story. Basically what you want to do is remove those bud sites that aren't going to do well, like Rocklobster says those sites that are only going to produce the larfy popcorn shit. You can just pinch those sites off with your fingernails. The idea is to select OUT those sites, leaving only the sites that get the best light (assuming you're growing indoors) for the plant to put its energy into.

I can always get it pretty well with my indoor grows, but my outdoor grows...? Another story completely, they always get past me.

Start with the lowers and insides, anything for which the light is BLOCKED.

4. jellolover

jellolover Guest

Thank you..

I have an outdoor organic set up, 6 plants and not much space. Hopefully this pruning will optimize the little space I do have.

Any tips for dealing with limited space? Part of me is thinking of ditching one plant to the compost but would rather not.

Cheers

5. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Yes. Learn what auxins are. Learn how to prune for the best possible crop (i.e. selecting OUT those poorest bud sites, those with least potential). Learn about low stress training (aka LST) as an easy means by which increase potential bud sites. Don't worry about getting it wrong the first time. Only use one or two plants to experiment with. Never underestimate the power and importance of light!

If you look up Medjool date farming you'll get an idea of the concept behind canopy control methods. Of course, they let those date palms GROW, ya just gotta.

Are you growing indoors or out? That really makes a difference as to how you approach the canopy. And know this with respect to weedy lady's feet--bigger is better. A big **HEALTHY** root zone pretty much guarantees a decent crop. I'm not saying beer cup grows can't be done, but they're not easy to pull off, they're an art. Like bonsai, and bonsai ain't for yield. If you're limited in plant numbers grow those things as big as you possibly can.

And that's my advice and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aide.

**Edited** To add qualifier. You can put a girl into big shoes, doesn't mean her feet are gonna fill 'em.

6. jellolover

jellolover Guest

Great advice, led me to many good reads. Thanks

I may try an indoor set up next year, maybe a two plant tent or something on the cheap side. Outdoor seems to be doing fine for now.

Cheers

7. bratgirl

bratgirl Member

Hello out there

These threds are a great help. I do have a question I could use all of your help with though. My Blueberry OG { 2 plants in a single 32 gallon tote } and 3 God Bud also in same size container have over taken a space 6 feet by 4 feet and are nearly 7 feet tall and are hitting the lite! The plants are in the third week of bloom with the half inch white hairs all over the plants, even on the ower branches. What can I trim off the lower 1/3 of the plants so more energy goes to bud growth. Should I trim off lower 1/3 thin branches even if those branches have first signs of bud develoement. My ladies need help, they are not little girls any more!

I know I kept my plants in the veg stage far too long, but it was just so much fun watching the girls grow so strong.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Bratgirl

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

if your concerned of the plants hitting the lamp. you should trim the top and force lower,, if the plants are young enough to do so.

or you can bend them down, with string.. Rocklobster is a spiderman with this technique.

sucker branches on the bottom that look like that will no produce anything, you can cut those off. but shouldnt go brat(shit)girl crazy trimming..

9. max711

max711 Members

If you cut off every limb and you just let the top-bud grow, you can get 50cm+ single Buds.
    It`s fun to see how enormous
    • [​IMG]
    they can get, but they will be rather somewhat airy and not rockhard.

Attached Files: