Protein as a food category

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm working on a diet that is divided into KCal counting and food categorizing. The question that I have is about protein. Short of tofu and cheese, where do you get protein? When I had asked about beans, I was told that they are mostly carbohydrates. When I looked at cheese, I got the feeling that the fat content might put it more in the category of fats/oil. I had asked a dietitian, and he said to put it into either carbohydrate OR protein, but be consistent about it. I thought that answer was a bit wishy washy.
    So where would YOU say is a good source of bona fide protein from a non-animal source?

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Seitan

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Seitan, beans (they do have protein as well as carbs), Greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, tempeh, quinoa, lentils, nuts and nut butters, protein powder or bars if you are into that, but you shouldn't need it.

4. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Listen to the dietician. He is advising you to listen to your body more than to any number you find on the internet.

If you put food into categories, e.g. carbs, protein, fats... Well. why do that?
    To keep track of what you are putting into your body, that's why.

Does it matter which category cheese is in?
    Well, if you are trying to get X gm. of protein then it does matter.
    If you are trying to eat the same kind of category mix that you ate yesterday, then not a whole lot. Just as long as today's categories are the same as yesterdays.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I eat organic plant based protein with some oatmeal for breakfast. You can find the stuff at Costco (if they have Costco, and if you have a membership) for as little as $22.99 or something. let me see if I can find you a link.

EDIT: Here it is. Not very tasty but it certainly is packed with protein. Costco Wholesale

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why not just buy protein powder and make a smoothie every day? Kinda winning every day with a smoothie. Or, get the powder and male protein balls and cupcakes. I do it. :)

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

"Male Protein Balls"...????...LOL... :D

Cheers Glen.

Irminsul likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:tearsofjoy: I can't even edit it anymore

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I could. Want it changed to “make”?

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

From what I’ve learned, beans aren’t the same carb as refined flour or sugar. It’s got the fiber needed to slow digestion and therefore uptake into blood glucose levels.
    So, I suspect your dietician is saying make it one or the other, but chart it consistently.

12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

So true. When you consume fats, they then have to break down into simple sugars, enter the bloodstream, where a surplus will reconvert into human fat. With animal fats, the process is slower, so most of the resultant sugars are burnt up, rather than reconverted. So many people seem to wrongly assume that the body simply stores the fat in it's original form.

Sugars are the real enemy, since they are absorbed immediately and the surplus converted into body fat.
    Corn syrup is without doubt the worst since it does not taste sweet. As a result, the amount of corn syrup in many soft drinks is equivalent to putting 12 spoons of sugar in a cup or tea.
    The stuff should be banned for human consumption, but governments have invested money in corn farming, so they do not agree. Even doctors are silenced by threats from the soft drink companies lawyers. Innocent until proven guilty is the law, but no one can conclusively prove what goes on inside the human body.

13. sophiemurray

sophiemurray Newbie

Two years ago I decided to lose weight and change my life and my habits. I was also a little bit vegan but I couldn't resist meat or milk. I found a great alternative for me. I do some exercises, avoid sugar and lead a healthy lifestyle and this means I need to eat healthily, I also consume a lot of organic dietary supplements like whey protein. Healthcanal has a huge range of products like sports food, supplements, and others, and all of them are high-quality and eco-friendly. Of course, you have also to avoid sugar as much as you can if you're leading a healthy lifestyle.

Mysteron likes this.
  14. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

No too dissimilar myself. My biggest change was becoming vegetarian . I can never be vegan as I need the protein what is found in dairy . Like you I'm not a lover of sugar but eh biggest health benefit was stopping the intake of hard saturated fats from red meat in particular .

15. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cor !!! - you don't know what you're missing - I have a nice big pot of beef stew and dumplings sitting on my cooker just waiting for me to heat it - luverly grub !!!

Mysteron likes this.
  16. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :)