Promotion of Veganism!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Yogamat, Jan 7, 2019.

?

Would you consider becoming a vegan?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Havent decided

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. I already am one.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The industry sucks. But not every dairy product or farm is as bad as the other. Organic cow milk is just as readily available as regular milk in my supermarket. Last time i talked about this with wilsjane he told me its a bit different in the most of UK?

KerrBear likes this.
  2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Organic milk is available here... I was more referring to the Co2 emissions, etc.
    You said you didn't see what the benefit was in giving up eggs and dairy; I mainly wanted to point out that eggs and dairy shouldn't be lumped together, and that there is a benefit for the environment in not consuming dairy.

This is an interesting article on it
    Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Like I said, I'm not vegan, but I have cut down on dairy. I did give it up altogether for a couple of years but I noticed effect on my health, and that's why I eat cheese again. Cows milk doesn't taste good to me anymore anyway so that part's irrelevant to me.

Asmodean likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Yeah, i didn't mean to lump them together as if the same things count for both, but i named them together because they're both stuff that's cut out of a vegan diet ;)

4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

...But one of them, there isn't much point cutting out (from an environmental point of view)
    and the other there is. So it's quite an important difference : )

5. Asmodean

Well, i disagree. Cutting out dairy products like milk and cheese is unneccesary if I can get it organic and from a durable processed source. But agree, most dairy products are not. I want organic and durable to become the regular option. Not switching to soy, vegetarian or lab grown meat. It makes more sense to me to limit meat consumption and buy high quality and durable, not quit it. Of course limiting it means I enjoy vegetarian meals regularly as well. But out of moderation only. Not to become a vegetarian.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Can you explain how "Organic" makes a difference? I am talking about emissions related to the dairy industry. Organic or not is another issue. Unless I don't understand something here, in which case, please explain.
    As far as I understand, organic cows are still going to be creating Co2 emissions.

7. Asmodean

You mean cow farts/manure?

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yes. Although I've just learned that most methane emissions from cows are actually burps!

Also about land and water being used to grow feed for cattle.

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My son has been a vegan since he was a sophomore in high school. He's 38 now and I went vegan with him for a couple of years when he was a teenager. It was fine--didn't bother me at all. I'm not vegan now--veggy except for thanksgiving--got to have my dead bird , stuffing,etc. As far as harassing people, there are folks who will harass others over anything. Certain % in any "movement."

10. I'm here just for this

11. Spilled-Patchouli

Spilled-Patchouli Members

This is only true if you believe that farming for dairy and eggs does not cause any suffering. Unfortunately, based on video evidence we have, we know that these animals are treated cruelly.

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

That point was implied in “gruesome death.”

MOD NOTE
    I’m thrilled the subforum is getting active again, but I will NOT tolerate the vegan vs vegetarian wars that ripped us apart in the late 90s.

13. drumminmama

Organic is about the feed supply line to the cows.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yes, I understand that..
    I was asking how it made the cow more environmentally sound from a Co2 emissions angle.

15. Spilled-Patchouli

Not intending to start a war, I was a vegetarian for a long time before I went vegan. I am not against vegetarians at all.

16. drumminmama

Patchouli, that was a general comment, not directed at you in particular.

17. drumminmama

Ok, two or more issues are getting mixed here. Vegan is a philosophy that animals aren’t here or human used any form.
    It has no bearing on ecological issues.

There are ecological benefits to raising fewer animals, from less monocropping of grains to the burps of cattle.

18. Spilled-Patchouli

Ah, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'll become vegan just as soon as science can grow a good steak.

20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Doing it for a while.