Promotion of Veganism!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Yogamat, Jan 7, 2019.

?

Would you consider becoming a vegan?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Havent decided

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. I already am one.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I'm sure you're aware of the growing popularity of veganism in recent times.I'd like to see a more gentler approach to this awareness being offered.Most of the news,discussions etc are quite negative based.I watched a doco recently on Veganism,and it featured vegan's harassing a farmer to the point of him receiving death threats,and due to trespassing,has had to make his farm like a virtual prison,high prison like fencing,alarms etc.The show also featured protests,becoming quite loud and aggressive towards meat eaters,targeting restaurants and so forth.Why?
    I don't understand why vegans would choose an aggressive approach towards promoting veganism.Surely if they are kind towards animals,they can show the same kindness to fellow humans?I find their approach off putting tbh.If someone tries to guilt trip me,I'm liable to do it more.They seem quite angry type people.
    I feel if vegans promoted their choice in a more positive light,mainly focusing on recipes.and the apparent health benefits,then maybe more people would choose to become a vegan.I had emailed the national vegan society with my suggestion months ago and so far,had no response.
    If everyone on the planet decided to go vegan,could it sustain everyone's choices,because demand would surely rise for more plant based food items,which include pulses/nuts/rice etc.And even if it could,we'd have to destroy more of the natural world's habitat to support the extra demands.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

The only problem I see is that I go out to eat a significant number of times in a any given month. Much of the fare offered does not lend itself to veganism.

Interestingly, Moby has a restaurant called Little Pine which is all vegan from what I understand. So, that would be one place... But it's nowhere near where I live. Ultimately, I think it would disrupt my current lifestyle to become vegan.

I eat so much roughage and veggies as it is.

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Many vegans are not the pushy stereotype you see in the media. That is a meat eater fantasy. Most vegans I know never mention it until you offer them a burger at a BBQ. They say "I don't eat animals no thanks" and that is the end of it. It's not really something you can debate with people. You either see the facts and make the choice for yourself or you buckle down and say "man is king and predator".

The ones who are aggressive I do not agree with. But we all love animals and want to protect them.

Long term true meat is going to be so rare and expensive with global warming most middle class will have to eat mostly plants or plants meant to mimmick the taste of meat anyway. So people should get used to it now.

Trust me the burgers still taste like burgers mostly it's not so bad.

Spilled-Patchouli likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Is this said with that lab grown meat in mind? I doubt it, man! I have yet to be seen the majority of middle class consumers favors that above more pricy meat from real animals.

5. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I totally get the whole vegan thing. From a moral standpoint. It is hard to go totally vegan, though. I've tried, and I like eggs, at the very least. I think I could give up meat, tho.

6. Asmodean

If I saw the point in giving up eggs, milk and cheese I think I could. But I don't see the point. I do see the point in buying organic or eggs of chickens that you can verify are walking outside.
    Same with meat actually. I totally see the point for others who are bothered by meat in any way and generally applaud their efforts and them following their ideals. But mine are simply a little different (but also morally and ecological sound imo)

7. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I believe Jackfruit can "replica"pulled pork for burgers etc.Can the planet sustain though that many Jackfruit should everyone choose to be a vegan and buy them?
    As for fantasy,I'm afraid its not.I've seen too many doco's on aggressive vegans for it to be fantasy.I've also been a member of 2 other forums (Not vegan based)and several people,including myself,left because of staunch vegan members high jacking alot of posts.

8. unfocusedanakin

Lab meat is not "real" meat. But yes it's probably what a lot of people will eat in the future.

9. Asmodean

It doesn't gonna make real meat rare though. I hope but also sincerely think you're wrong there. More expensive yes. And there's also gonna be less of it. But rare... Not if i can help it :p

10. unfocusedanakin

It will take a generation or two to accept not eating meat. Right now it's tied into a lot of other politcal issues. Real men eat meat soyboys do not. As long as people think like that you are right someone will find a way to pay the premium for a steak. It's worth all the extra taxes that come from the pollution.

Kind of like how in America some drive 20 year old trucks that are terrible on fuel even though they are so old they break down all the time. The other option is to drive a Prius or a truck that the nanny state made safe. Global warming was made up the Chinese you know. It's important to ignore it and live like a man.

11. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

I don't understand the point of veganism and beyond that I like meat

NaturistJames likes this.
  12. The point is to exist without sustaining yourself on the gruesome deaths of sweet and innocent creatures.

13. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

Maybe I misread this. That's the point of being a vegetarian, but the next step of veganism does not diminish any gruesome death beyond being a vegetarian

14. Fruits and vegetables are delicious. You should eat them. Just think of a nice grilled pepper or some buttery cauliflower... Um um UM is that good stuff!

15. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

Lol of course I eat fruits and vegetables.

16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I tried going vegetarian. I lasted a little more than 10 days until I relapsed into an omnivorous diet again.

GLENGLEN and KerrBear like this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I chose "haven't decided" .

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m here to promote veganism because it means more steak for me at the dinner table

GLENGLEN likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just haven't decided because it's not something I think about. Until a doctor tells me to go vegan I'm probably going to continue to eat all the Irm favourites I've enjoyed my life.

More recently I have been enjoying non meat meals occasionally throughout the week but I'm not doing that for any moral reason other than shifting my diet as I age as I realise I cannot eat like I once could nor can I eat some things that I once could.

I don't eat eggs because they are disgusting, so I don't need to worry about free range chickens or any of that. The majority of the meat I buy comes fresh from local farmers so I don't need to worry about animal conditions.

20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't put eggs in the same category as milk and cheese... and you went on to say they should be free range organic chickens, but didn't explain how to make dairy okay. I do eat cheese, but way less than I used to, and I use soya milk. Because from what I understand the dairy industry is not great, either for the environment or for calves and cows.