Pot stores and regulation

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by DdC, Apr 14, 2014.

1. DdC

DdC Member

(from another forum…)

I was browsing in one of my usual haunts (boing boing) and ran across this article

Interesting read, but one thing caught my attention and bothered me..

"Except, in March, The Denver Post and The Cannabinist ran independent testing of a wide variety of commercial edibles and found that the actual THC concentrations were usually very different from what was advertised on the packaging. Most of the time, the investigation found that folks in Colorado are getting far less THC then they paid for. Sometimes, though, they're getting considerably more, and both outcomes have their downsides."

The FDA needs to come down on this fast and heavy. i haven't smoked pot or done THC since the early 70s, but I know THC is a powerful drug. That they offer it in candy form and kids would love to consume these little treats. Also it seemd there is no consistancy in dosage levels per candy. These could also make for an interesting prank at office parties.

On testing THC in edibles: The story behind our pot report - The Cannabist
    The Dr. J's display at Herbs 4 You, a recreational marijuana shop in central Denver, pushes the edibles for only $7 apiece. Dr. J's products tested poorly in The Denver Post's study on THC levels in infused edibles -- scoring as low as .2 milligrams of activated THC in a chocolate bar that was supposed to contain 100 milligrams of THC. (Photo by Ricardo Baca, The Cannabist)

The Denver Post and The Cannabist conducted a study last week on the potency of edibles as compared to their label-promised amounts, and the results were staggering. None of the 10 brands hit their promised amounts exactly, though a couple came close. Others were 20-40 percent off. And yet others were even more off, proving what an inexact science the potency of legal recreational marijuana is in Colorado more than two months after legal sales began in the state.

Edibles’ THC claims versus lab results surprising
    An independent Denver Post study of several marijuana-infused products shows wide variances in THC levels in edibles vs. labeling

Cannabis Jolly Rancher Candies
    – Most stoners are familiar with Jolly Ranchers, the tough to chew candy that a lot of people love. I always preferred the green ones but of course there was a grape flavor, watermelon, etc. Even today, it’s tempting to buy these candies at the store when they’re spotted. What’s even better is that you can now make these yourself at home and even add in cannabis so you have a medicated candy that’s extremely easy to make.

[​IMG]

A visit to a legal recreational marijuana store
    When weed is no longer illegal, does it cease to be part of the counterculture? When the counterculture becomes mainstream, what is it?

Dude. I don't even know. Welcome to a brave new world. A world where your pot comes with a receipt.

TransformDrugPolicy ‏@TransformDrugs
    Surprised @KelloggCompany logo used in leaflet accusing companies of marketing cannabis to kids 'Kelloggs Pot Tarts'!

[​IMG]