Places to visit in Northern Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by eggsprog, Apr 8, 2014.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

My wife and I moved to North Bay last September and will be here for a couple of years, and we're trying to find some interesting and fun things to do in the North during the spring and summer. So far we're planning on camping in Algonquin, but would love to hear some other suggestions! Looking for anything within a days drive from North Bay (we would be fine with somewhere nearby in Quebec as well).

We are interested in camping, hiking, and cycling, but love trying new things as well.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the area, but I figured this was worth a shot!

2. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet Member

Go to elliot lake. Beautiful place. lots of great outdoor activities and the best fishing in canada.

3. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Can check out Pickle Lake. There's numerous camping parks around there. You should check to see if the Trans Canada Trail runs up there.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I'll take a look at onaping high falls, thanks. We actually spent a few days on manitoulin a couple of weeks ago, it is a beautiful place.

6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

You can also drive north from Elliot until you hook into Route 546 which takes you left and south, back down to Iron Bridge on the Trans Can. You used to be able to get a nice breakfast at the diner there.

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Stayed there a couple of times in maybe 2007 - 2009 period - stayed at tourist cottages on Ice Lake and went int Gore Bay for dinner a couple of times.

Lt Gore was one of John Franklin's men, aboard erebus and Terror when they sailed into Beechey Island in 1845 in search of the NW PAssage and were never seen again.

8. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Used to fly into Armstrong from Thunder Bay with a bush pilot called Pete Warren (back in 1974-ish. He also used to fly to Pickle and Nakina - the road to Armstrong from the trans Canada was about 170 miles I think and was dirt. If you had to sit in the box of a pickup driving down your sine would be pretty well gone.