Picky eaters

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Dec 14, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If you are a picky eater, I don’t get you at all.

What I mean by a picky eater, is someone who is very selective on what he/she eats.

A good indicator of a picky eater, is when you go out for pizza, and they insist on a 0-topping cheese pizza. Or they will pick McDonald’s over a gourmet meal.

What the fuck is up with people like this? Now I can understand a child having this issue. Since children have sensitive taste buds. But if you’re over the age of 10, and you’re so closed minded that you can’t diversify the meals you eat. Then you’re fucked in the head. When the shit hits the fan, and apocalypse goes down, picky eaters are gonna be the first to perish.

r0llinstoned likes this.
  2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m not a picky eater but there are some things I won’t eat such as leftovers, I won’t drink beverages that are cold, I won’t eat anything that has touched the floor,
    and I hate Lima Beans, Squash, Turnips, Peas, and other assorted vegetables traditionally eaten by the lower classes.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Come the apocalypse it's porridge and tinned beans for you my man.

4. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Yeah, AS here too, and I have an intense dislike to fish, peas and spinach. Also many vegetables like rutabaga. In general, I hate anything that tastes sour (like many veggies) or oily (fish fat is the wrong kind of oily). I take my vitamins from fruits, because I prefer their sweetness, and fiber from sources like rye. Pineapples are great, 'cause they give me both. Other than that, I'm a grade A carnivore and an unapologetic consumer of beef and poultry. The stuff that I hate I'd only eat in a survival scenario to save my life. Outside of that I prefer to choose from the wealth of options available to me, because why torture yourself and be miserable unnecessarily?

I also have a strong moral objection to alcohol consumption. I think that the only thing that should drink alco is the engine of a car.

thethinkingcat likes this.
  5. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Sorry to hear this. I identify as a straight edge today, because I've seen something similar with the people I know, and I don't like what they're doing to themselves and others around them with their habit.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I don't believe in picky eaters.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I used to lie to the parents of every girlfriend/wife and tell them up front ''i am allergic to mushrooms''....that way no disgusting mushrooms would be hidden under other ingredients in a family meal....I believe my Italian father in law resented me for this reason and also for
    banging his daughter

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I tend to agree but I try not to be too judgemental, I guess they cant help it. But yeah I think it's weird, and sort of sad. (Okay maybe I dont try too hard not to be judgemental)

Food is life, and a window into other cultures

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

anyone thinking of inviting me to dinner I should say up front I have a severe allergy to mushrooms

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I will eat or try anything, except for meat--but when I ate that, I would eat pretty much any of it.

There are foods I don't love the taste of, but chances are that if you give it to me, I'll eat it and I very likely won't hate it. I can't presently think of foods that I don't care for.

I agree that people who are very picky eaters are mystifying. I also noticed that plain eaters are usually judged or presumed to be less grown up in some way. I get a little bit judgy with it, since some of the best foods tend to be foreign, and it's frustrating when I find some ridiculously delicious dish, and my picky friends won't even touch the food. I just want to spread the gastronomical love, man!!

A close friend of mine eats absolutely nothing that isn't frozen pizza, Doritos, chicken tenders, and mac & cheese: come to think it, I don't think I have ever seen him eat a vegetable or fruit. It pains me.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  11. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I've probably eaten at least 3 missing cats/dogs, unknowingly. No looking back.

Orison and GLENGLEN like this.
  12. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

I'm a very picky eater, i don't eat many different foods, but its good to try new stuff.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ah chinese KFC

Orison likes this.
  14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

As long as it's dead first I'll give it a try. Maybe only once though...

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Cost and time aside, I don't think I've ever met a person that would choose McDonald's over a gourmet meal.

Although, I've seen food documentaries portray stuff like Mcdonald's as having a strong effect on dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter associated with behavioral pleasure and reinforcement, also released by certain drugs such as cocaine, so it wouldn't surprise me there are some people like that.

YungSAVi likes this.
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

fixed

second really. first depends on the nature of the apocalypse itself. virus: those with weak immune systems, probably children and the elderly. nuke: people in major metropolitan areas. global warming: people on the coast who refuse to evacuate when their homes become under water. zombie: this one seems like it would actually be pretty random, just based on proximity to prior zombies.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tbh though no restersunt can fry a macnuggets like MacDonalds. Also no restersunt can pull off sweet and sour sauce like MacDonalds can for their macnuggets.

And fuck your fancy Jamie Oliver meals anyway. 50$ for a mash potato smeared like shit next to your 3ounce wagyu steak fillet that isn't even wagyu.

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I've noticed a trend in my personal life...but ESPECIALLY from working in restaurants.

Slim to average size people will eat about anything...and if there is something on the plate or burger (or whatever) that isn't to their liking, they can (don't get too shocked now) REMOVE or OVERLOOK the offending item.

However, the bigger the person, the more and more picky they want their food cooked, what is to be left out, what extra thing they need...and the list could go on and one. I mean c'mon - most look like they would eat what ever doesn't run away from them...but for real though...larger people as a whole are LOTS more pickier eaters than others.

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Actually it makes complete sense, the more you consume the more proficient you become at eating.

Through trial and error you know what you like and what you don’t like

Lynnbrown likes this.
  20. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I'm not fussy at all. I like pretty much everything. I'm not a fan of Lima beans, or zucchini. But even if I don't like certain things I won't pick them out if it's mixed into a dish because the flavors work together and I can appreciate that.

21. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I'm a very picky eater.

I never knew being a picky eater can stir up such strong emotions in people. :/

22. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Well, hopefully if you were allergic to dressing, you wouldn't ask for it on the side ;).

But, I getcha, servers should listen. When I was a server, I was hyper-vigilant about allergies. If you have allergies, it would be prudent of you to tell your server that your special request is due to an allergy, not just a preference. You would be shocked how many things may contain nuts or shellfish, etc.