peru

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by jdd, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jdd

jdd Member

landed here yesterday
    advise ?

reports ....

so far so good
    got robbed
    but bought back my raybans wallet id etc
    the hoods got $140.oo US cash
    gave me back everythuing else
    very undestanding

we had an unspoken agreement
    no cops

i get my wallet and ray bans back

2. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

Not sure what your question is. I've been in country 25+ time over the last 20 years. Only robbed once and that by a corrupt hotel manager in an upscale hotel. Tourist police are a better bet than regular cops, Peru depends on tourist moneys and they don't want a shit image messing that up. Common sense is in order about not flashing your wealth. I carry serious money in a waist band under my clothes, I also use a leg pouch for $$$ and passport. Don't dream of taking coca teas or any drugs out, same with antiquities or endangered species, Jaguar teeth, pelts skulls. Same goes with some insects and snake skin stuff.

Its an incredible country, most of my time has been in jungles but Cuzco/Machu Pichhu is a total trip as are the coastal cities and lots of other sites. Enjoy!

3. Alonzep

Alonzep Member

I'm not in Peru currently but better if you meet some other tourist and you go with them, the center is secure but not specially at midnight, unfortunately it's like this.

But if you act with common sense, as the yarapario said, you won't get stolen ecc.
    And please enjoy the food! Specially marine food!

4. jimbowersinperu

jimbowersinperu Guest

I have lived in Peru for 5 years, driven from the US to Argentina twice alone and I have never once been robbed, mugged, had my pocket picked or any of the other nightmares I hear about. Peru is cool. You just need to open you eyes. Take off the raybans and hide them away. Why invite a problem ?????

5. seedchild

seedchild Member

I spent 10 days in peru and never had a problem in 2010