Part I - Prayer for the World

Discussion in 'Introduction to Hindu Spirituality' started by Bhaskar, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Hari Om!
    Before each session, I would like you to join me in a short meditation. Indeed, if you can make this a part of your daily practice, at least for the duration of this class, it will bring great benefits.
    In practicing meditation, it is useful to set up a separate space reserved for meditation only. A separate mat or shawl also helps. These meditation items soak up the energy of your practice over time and can be a big help in entering to the meditative state. Those inclined to set up an altar can use that to add to the sacred space. Sage, incense, candles, etc. can also help to set the scene.
    Before beginning a meditation session, it helps to either shower or wash the face, hands and feet. The sense of physical purity helps the mind invoke the pure qualities in it.

It is recommended to meditate sitting on the floor with the back, neck and head in a straight line. If this posture is hard to hold, you can use the wall to support your back. For those who need to use a chair, the legs must not be crossed and the feet must be firmly planted on the ground. Hands can be either loosely rested on the knees or folded in the lap. The back must remain straight. Your posture must be comfortable, stable and relaxed. It may take you some days to become accustomed to the pose, try sitting in it often, even when not meditating. If you are unable to hold the positing, however, feel free to use any other positing where you can sit still and alert for long periods of time.

We will try a simple relaxation meditation that my Guru called "the mental massage". You may have come across it already from other teachers. The first time, please use the recording, but once you have got the idea of how proceed try doing it by yourself.
    Here is the recording:
    http://boomp3.com/m/3385d7820653

2. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

I find that I am more tuned in and the words flow readily when I speak, whereas when I write I easily get bogged down in linguistic details (must be the editor in me). Therefore, I have made a recording of my reflections on the first peace invocation:
    http://boomp3.com/m/8df5adb1134c

If you have problems listening to either of these files or would prefer me to transcribe the words for you, please let me know. I need your feedback in order to make the teachings relevant to your needs and to fix the flaws in my understanding and methods.

3. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Thank you for this. :) It reminds me of the lectures Swamiji gives that the Boston Vedanta Centre puts on podcasts and I enjoy so much. :)

I love how beautiful sanskrit prayers are...they have such an unspeakable divine power to each word...

That's just my musing...

4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Thank you all for giving me the opportunity. There are many instances in Hindu sriptures where the teacher thanks the student for giving an opportunity to talk about the divine and dwell on it. It is a great blessing you all have given me.