opportunity to become a trendspotter in your country! (fun and paid)

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Laura-the-flowergirl, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

Hello all!

I work for a company called The Future Foundation. We identify trends in all sectors all over the world and provide quantitative and qualitative research material on these to our clients.

One of our products is material generated by trendspotters. Trendspotters (I used to be one when I still lived in Belgium!) are people based in different countries (at the moment we cover 19 markets, soon to be expanded to 24 markets). We send them a brief with a list of questions regarding two topics (can be anything: relationships, health, mobile phones, travelling, environment...) every 1.5-2 months. Then we give them about a month time (although we are very flexible) to complete a report based on the questions we have asked them.

We ask them to give us their insight on the topics from THEIR perspective. We have our own charts and figures, so there is no need for them to give us that. We want them to tell us what they feel is going on in their country – their opinions and those of their acquaintances, friends, family, colleagues...
    In return, we pay the spotters £100 per report. We can also provide them with proven experience and recommendations to spice up their CV.

Sometimes we also ask spotters to complete a different type of task in between the two-monthly reports. Of course we also pay for that work – more or less depending on how big the task is.

At the moment, we are preparing a spotter task relating to Christmas. It requires that the spotters go check out a number of shops and advertising magazines in their country at three time points (end of October, end of November/early December and in the week before Christmas) and then report back to us what they have observed in terms of Christmas advertising and promotions (of course we give them a brief that lists what exactly they should look out for). We do realise that it is not fun to work right before Christmas, so for the third stage (the one for the week before Christmas) it is sufficient to make some notes with observations during that week but to write the actual report after the celebrations. Spotters get paid for all three stages – we do not know the exact pay yet, but each part will in any case be rewarded with more than what we pay for a normal report.

Because it is quite an extensive task and we don’t want to overload our existing spotters with more work than their normal reports, we would like to recruit some new spotters who want to commit especially to the Christmas task. Obviously, if we are happy with your work and you would be interested in doing more trendspotter work for us afterwards, that is definitely possible.

The countries we need people in are
    Argentina
    Australia
    Brazil
    Canada
    China
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    France
    Germany
    Hungary
    India
    Ireland
    Italy
    Japan
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Poland
    Russia
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    USA

If this sounds like something you would enjoy doing and you will be in your country long enough to check the shops for us at the three time points mentioned earlier, then please contact me on laurav@futurefoundation.net and I will give you some more details or answers any more questions that you might have. I am leaving on a one-week holiday to Malta on Monday, so I will only get to read your email on the 26th of September, so don’t worry if I get back to you quite late.

I hope to hear from you!

Thanks,
    Laura x

2. thomjarl

thomjarl Guest

Sounds interesting but I feel like there aren't any trendsetters in Miami. When I lived in Sweden though, that was a different story...