Obama on Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Argiope aurantia, May 25, 2008.

1. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Does anyone know what his stance is on home schooling? I've been looking on his website, and honestly the only thing I was concerned about was his claim that "all schools of education must be accredited."

Erm, does this mean ALL schools?

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

According to THIS site, I see the following statements that could (or might not) apply to homeschooling.

* Supports charter schools; it's important to experiment. (Feb 2008)
    * Get parents re-engaged in educating the children. (Dec 2007)

Most of the rest of the info I found on Obama related to teachers & the public school system. I'm going through the same thing right now & none of the "most likely" candidates are terribly vocal one way or the other concerning homeschooling.

By googling "homeschooling" and "obama" I also found the following: possibly in favor? and another quoting the same source

HSLDA seems to be completely silent, now that Huckabee is no longer in the running. Not a lot of help, are they?
    love,
    mom

3. Valdis

Valdis Member

Homeschooling isn't a presidential issue nor should it be one. It's not a federal issue either and we don't want it to become one.

He has said some things that could be interpreted as for homeschooling.

He supports education organizations that some into homeschool would say makes him against homeschooling.

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. No presidential candidate has ever done anything that had anything to do with homeschooling just public schooling. Thank goodness.

4. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Agreed. This is one issue that needs to stay out of the federal realm.

5. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

I did some more research, and Emailed his campaign. It's a little late, but many homeschool support groups loved him. Okay, I can handle this.