Nothing as good as Harry Potter.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by PaiGe 4 2 0, Oct 31, 2008.

1. PaiGe 4 2 0

PaiGe 4 2 0 Member

I need a new book...but nothing seems as good as harry potter. any ideas of what i might like?

2. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

:piggy::smilielol5:
    so u like fantasy ?
    why not trying to search for fantasy books on the net ?
    try reading Lord of the rings, u might like it.

3. Agent R

Agent R Banned

4. Jaztastic

Jaztastic Member

Haha I agree! Try some Stephen King books, they're pretty good. But yeah so far nothing compares to Harry Potter. I'm currently reading his 7-book series The Dark Tower.

5. munkirench

munkirench Member

I have to say that I think Harry Potter is largely overrated. The story is pretty good... perhaps great. But each book seems to leave something to be desired. The first 4 books are pretty much all the same... Harry goes to school, has fun with Ron and Hermione, antagonizes Malfoy, learns something about himself, then faces Voldemort or one of his minions. Don't get me wrong, I read every book as soon as they came out, and enjoyed them very much. I just don't think that they are the be-all-end-all of fiction or fantasy.

With that said... I highly recommend the series by George R. Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire. The 5th book (out of 7) is expected later this year, and the first 4 are just amazing. They introduce and develop characters that you just get sucked into, and the overall background of the series is fascinating. The first book is "A Game of Thrones". Try it out... if you don't like it, ignore the rest of the series :)

6. LucyZey

LucyZey Member

potter is best =)

7. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

what in the hell am i thinking writting this in a harry potter thread?
    oh, yeah, your looking for something new to read.
    i read one harry potter book and, i'm no fan of harry. the books are not written too well yet, the plot does work well though.
    horror and science fiction are off shoots of fantasy.
    i'm recommending the works of h.p. lovecraft. lovecraft is one hell of a great writer and, his short stories of the old gods do fit together like a series.

8. melyet

melyet Member

Don't even try to read more books about wizards because we all know nothing will compare to Harry Potter. The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. They're all very magical and similarly fantastic. Nonstop adventure, you won't be able to put the down.

9. agentslander

agentslander Member

I agree on this and I wish they hadn't cancelled the show.

10. Smitty25

Smitty25 Senior Member

H.P. Lovecraft.
    Cthulhu mythos is sick as hell.

11. TangerineSoul

TangerineSoul Member

I have a hard time finding fantasy books because the characters are largely made of cardboard. If I don't care what happens to the characters, why bother reading it? That's one reason I did enjoy Harry Potter - great, well rounded characters who grew and grew each time we met them. Most novels get too impatient and don't give time and substance to relationships. I hate when people say Harry Potter shouldn't be considered anything other than fluff. I read plenty of "good literature" off those AP lists and whatnot, and just because a book is easy to read doesn't mean it doesn't contain quality stuff. ie., I find a better message in the Velveteen Rabbit than in Catcher in the Rye

Wait what was this topic about?

12. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

i never read harry potter... someone will probably shoot me for sayin this lol.. but what about twilight?? :)

13. agentslander

agentslander Member

Twilight is full of cardboard characters.

14. BoomBoomBoom

BoomBoomBoom Member

I agree with you on this. Harry Potter is amazing. Eragon by Christopher Paolini was an amazing book as well. Another book that i came across a while back was The Fairy Godmother Academy. It's not out yet :( but i read a chapter of the book on the official Website http://www.fairygodmotheracademy.com and it's like a female version of harry potter. I think you might that one too. Good Luck.

15. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I'd agree with reading stuff from the Cthulhu mythos if you want a little heavier, horror-style writing. Or Lord of the Rings if you want epic, old-school fantasy.

If you want contemporary fantasy that mixes in a helping of humor and tragedy, go with Neil Gaiman. His 'Sandman' series is phenomenal, and books like 'Neverwhere', 'American Gods', and 'Stardust'(Book is better than the film) are probably the best fantasy stuff out there.

And don't waste time and money on Twilight and the many Twilight knock-offs - you can get the literary equivalent out of an old R.L. Stine 'Goosebumps' book, and it won't even ruin the concept of vampires!

Also, J.K. Rowling stole the character/concept of Harry Potter from an old Neil Gaiman comic called 'Books of Magic'. All she did was make it less interesting, insert a lot of fluff, and 'dumb it down'. Look it up, Harry is a carbon-copy of 'Tim' from the comic - down to the glasses, 'pet' owl, adopted parents, British living quarters, haircut, even the same style of shirt.

16. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Try "The Hobbit".

17. Samee

Samee Member

you might like Philip Pullmans - His Dark Materials :)

18. Jolie Dawson

Jolie Dawson Member

I've been reading Harry Potter since age 5, and I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman is ver ygood, as are the RA Salvatore books. Oh, and Robert Jordan :D

19. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Member

Dear Jolie,
    So you are ready to move on from Harry Potter? let me recommend "The Mirror of her Dreams" by Stephen Donaldson" Part 1 of a 2 part series.

amazon reviews: 4.5 from 5
    http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Dreams...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Dear Tangerine,
    So you dont like cardboard characters? Let me recommend "Lord Fouls Bane" by Stephen Donaldson. Part 1 of the Thomas Covenant series. Just don't blame me if it fucks your head up.

amazon reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/Fouls-Chronicles-Thomas-Covenant-Unbeliever/product-reviews/0345418433/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1)

20. floyden

floyden Member