Nietzsche recommendations

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by TrumpCards, May 16, 2018.

1. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

I’ve never read anything from him. Does he have any books that discuss God and Man’s relationship?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'd take 'Maxims And Interludes" and "Thus Spake Tharathustra" from his oeuvre. These works display his undoubted poetic sensibility and I think they are the best distillation of his philosophy. The rest will probably Fuck you up and are best approached under guidance of a professional philosopher. Enter at your peril!

Asmodean likes this.
  3. Purity

Purity Diclonius

Most of his work relates to morality, and when he does touch on god, it's mostly about the moral ramifications.
    The famous phrase 'God is dead' was more about the death of theology and a changing of times relating to the age of enlightenment.
    The age of enlightenment ended just about 100 years before he began writing on it.
    He himself is widely regarded as an Athiest.

The phrase 'God is dead' actually first came from 'The Gay Science' in 1882 even though 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' was largely credited with bringing the phrase to popularity. 'Beyond Good and Evil' expands a bit on 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' as well.

Anyways, all of his books are quite good.
    Definitely recommend reading them all, but you may have a hard time following them if you're not used to reading material of philosophical nature.