Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by neoprene_queen, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Looks like net neutrality is officially axed.

Federal Communications Commission repeals net neutrality rules

Sorry if I come across as a little daft, but I still don't quite get what this means for us consumers. I also don't get how anti-trust laws haven't already addressed this issue. So the whole thing is confusing to me. Seems to be a gray area in my perceived black-and-white world.

I just hope I can continue to post on HF without having to pay more for it.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

All I know is it means internet providers can charge a surcharge to access websites/streaming services

I'm sure there's a lot more to it but that's the gist as far as how it will affect the average person

I'll stop using the internet before I start paying a charge on top of a charge I already pay

Lynnbrown likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This article answers some questions that people wrote in about.
    Live updates on the net neutrality vote - CNNPolitics

One of the things it says is:

4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Net Neutrality is history. Trump just gave a big gift to the big internet companies. Now they can stick it to the public anywhichway they want.

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I really don't get it either except that Agent Idiot Orange is doing his retarded best to stop "net neutrality"...and I, too, will quit using the internet before another dime is spent on using it.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The biggest problem wit today's internet lies with the figures that they never publish. While speeds keep increasing, contention ratio continues to rise and at peak times reaches 50 on domestic internet in the UK. When watching a video, data is sent in small packets and designed to stay ahead. While waiting for a 1 in 50 slot to deliver the next packet, the video will buffer. As technology gets faster, packets can sometimes get out of sequence, causing the video to crash. The whole thing is now becoming a catch 22 situation which could easily be made worse by some of these new ideas.