My Scotch List

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Jan 6, 2018.

1. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I started drinking Scotch back in the 80s. Before that it was either beer, Lambrusco or rum & Coke. I was in a Memphis bar at the Peabody when I was turned on to Scotch. It was a fluke. I was sitting in Mallard's at the bar and a guy walked out on his order before the bartender set it down.

I had been drinking a draught or two and waiting for a coworker. The bartender was pissed off that the guy left and offered the drink to me for nothing. I asked what it was and he said "Scotch & Soda". I balked and said I never tried it before and didn't like bourbon whiskey at all. He won me over by explaining that scotch was distilled beer. I tried it, and fell in love!

So here's my list of the scotch I have tried and my personal observations. Use it as you see fit.

[​IMG]

GLENGLEN likes this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I have half a bottle of Famous Grouse on the go right now. It's the roughly the same price as Teacher's here in the UK, but is much better. I agree Speyside is very good.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  3. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Grouse seems to go very well with aromatic appetite stimulants. No idea why.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It's perhaps a well known fact that bad whisky like Teacher's brings out the aggression in a Man if consumed in excess. At least that was my experience when I was a young.

5. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I have two bottles on the go here A 10 year Speyside Ben Riach quite nice and an Islay single malt Laphroaig which is my favorite Whisky of all time There is also a bottle of Bells for visitors who want Whisky mixed with Summat !

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My favorite is whisky mac, an equal mix of mid range whisky and green ginger wine. More mature whisky's and single malts are better on their own or with just an ice cube.
    I also enjoy American and Irish whisky, but the cheaper brands of Irish can sometimes taste vile.

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Vat 69 Was My Fave Drink In My Teens And Twenties.......But I Never Drank It Straight......It Played

Hell With My Stomach Lining......Always With Coke Or Dry Ginger Ale.....:smile:

Cheers Glen.

8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

A lady at the liquor store talked me into a bottle of Kavanaugh's. I don't know. It's okay I guess. I don't have the palate for that sort of stuff.

I don't know if it counts as "Scotch" since it's Irish, nor do I know why I am posting in your thread while I clearly have nothing noteworthy to contribute.

That is all

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sometimes the impulse to post gets in the way of having useful to say. I know the feeling...

GeorgeJetStoned and Noserider like this.