My potato

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by silent, Apr 11, 2006.

1. silent

silent Member

I planted a potato in some soil in a small pot. I wasnt sure what would happen but there is a really pretty plant growing out of it now... so where do i go from here??
    I know i have to replant it but i don't have a hard :(
    i water it every other day or so... it's working that way

anything else i should know?

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I have no idea. Although I'm pretty sure that a small pot probably ain't the best place for a potato plant to flourish... I'd transplant it to something a bit bigger.

3. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

I'd say transplant it to a bigger pot. It should be pretty big cuz they tend to branch out underground... But don't fret anything too much, they're a pretty hardy plant. Just don't overwater and it'll live

4. Greeny

Greeny Member

If you want some potatoes from it then you'll need to transplant from the pot into soil outside. Ideally you should have done this a bit earlier and then as the shoots grow you add more soil on top to just cover them keep doing this for a few times and then leave to fully grow and flower - then 3 months down the line dig up the lot and you've got a crop of potatoes. If you decide to plant it into a new pot then make sure its big.

5. Sorsha

Sorsha Member

I know of people who grow potatos in barrels or half barrels - then at harvest time - just dump out the barrels to get to the potatos.. no digging...(also good for those with no soil/garden area)

the potatos form after flowering - new potatos just after flowering... larger ones if you wait a few weeks...

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

A bin of sawdust works, too