My parents don’t believe in our relationship because of the age difference, need advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by sweetguy18, Nov 27, 2017.

1. sweetguy18

sweetguy18 Members

I just want to clarify, my parents are good people. They don’t mean to be offensive, I guess they’re just not used to the concept of such a large age gap between partners. For a bit of backstory, my girlfriend and I have been dating for about 2 years. We met on this site called*******, and as far as relationships go, this might be my best one.

She’s really intelligent, sometimes it feels like she’s smarter than me. She’s funny, and just hearing her voice on the other side of the line can turn a bad day around. I see a future with this woman, and it’s amazing. Now here’s the catch: she’s 26, and I’m 38. We don’t see a problem with it, age really isn’t an issue. Our friends are genuinely happy for us.

But when I introduced her to my family a few months ago, they completely closed themselves off from our relationship. They think it’s “improper” that I’m dating someone so young, and everytime they call, the first thing they ask is if we’re still together. I want them to be happy for us, especially since I’m planning on proposing. Their support would mean so much for our relationship. Have any of you experienced something like this? How did you guys handle it? Any advice would really help out a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's still new to them; they'll get used to it. parents get used to all kinds of things their kids do that they don't necessarily like at first, but if it's really what's right for the kid, they'll come around.

scratcho likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My father was born in 1887 and my mother in 1903. Although it was his 3rd marriage, both his previous wives were dead. The strangest thing was that I had a step sister who was only 2 years younger than my mother. Discussing this recently with my daughter, I discovered that one of her friends had parents with a 32 year age difference and her step sister was 14 years older than her mother.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Something tells me the age difference isnt the reason they dont like her

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

????

Fuck, how old are you then? Your father was born 20 years after the civil war?

Sorry, I always assume everyone else here is american

Or your father was born during Queen Victorias reign if you are british

Either way:

Lynnbrown likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

We are in London. My father was 63 when I was born in 1949. My mother was 47 and it was quite rare for a woman to give birth to her first child at that age back then. My fathers first wife died during childbirth in 1932 and his second wife died during the second world war (1941) he married my mother in 1947. Sadly, he died when I was 9, but my mother lived until 2001.

morrow likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Woh, your mom was 47 and gave birth in 1949, not just rare I'd say, but something of a record back then

Certainly eye brow raising

wilsjane likes this.
  8. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I say proceed with a huge dose of caution. The early stages of this relationship is a ego booster for you. Caution! This is 2017 and the value of relationships have changed big time.

rollingalong likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What does her parents think if it?

Btw: i wouldn't mind being born in 1949 myself!

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Meh.

I was expecting like a 30 year age difference or something. Methinks your parents just plain don't like her. Maybe they are using the age thing to justify it. I don't know.

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That isn't much of a different at all. I'm suspect that there is something else at play here, but I'll assume that you are describing the situation with perfect accuracy:

The best remedy is time: just wait it out. If you two stay together for any prolonged amount of time (say, a year or more) most of your parent's suspicions will fall away. Don't worry too much about it, and just demonstrate to them that you are in it for the right reasons.

12. Gerontophilialover

Gerontophilialover Members

There's nothing wrong with age differences.
    I'm 54 and having a sexual relationship with am 86 year old lady and it's great.

scratcho likes this.
  13. Slutty Sue

Slutty Sue Visitor

I am 5 yrs older than my hubby. Parents on both sides had no problem with it.

14. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I think time can sometimes fix a situation of this sort. I wonder if OP and his partner are still together. He kind of made this thread and disappeared.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

he made one post, saying how he's in a relationship with a much younger woman that he met on some site that he obviously linked to before a moderator removed said link. 99% spam possibility.

16. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But the topic just hits a little too close to home for me, so I couldn't help but feel for the guy.

17. nakedrhode

nakedrhode Member

Go ahead and propose and get married if that's what you both want . Once your parents see your happy and making a go of it they will come round . My mother took nearly 5 years to accept my relationship but once she realised we were serious and making a go of it and my mrs was pregnant she came round and now she is very supportive of us .

18. barecanuck

barecanuck Members

I had a similar experience, I dated a woman 11 1/2 years my junior for some time. She broke it off at one point, got married for the second time then after the separation we resumed the relationship which was a mistake. She was cute as hell and fun to be around, sex was fabulous and frequent but I finally came to realize (I can be a slow learner) that there was no future for us. She wanted more kids, I didn't, and there was no way my income matched her spending. She got into drugs which I wanted nothing to do with. I would urge you to consider where you will be in say 25 years, you will likely be ready to retire and smell the roses, she will be kicking into high gear. Give it more time.