Musicians...please Step Inside...

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

2 people like this.
  2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Fuck yeah. Musicians rule. [​IMG]

I'd elaborate, but there's a good song on the radio. ;) Priorities, you know.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

's what I keep tellin' 'em...
    my superior musician brain gots "executive function" 'n shit, so gimme some fuckin' money!

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I probably approach music differently so who knows what the fug is going on in my head.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It said when a musician plays an instrument, there's a party going on in their brain. I can confirm that, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those people weren't invited.

:drummer: :guitarist: [​IMG] :rastana: :unsure:

3 people like this.
  6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

A few times, when everybody in the band was in The Zone at the same time, and we were all coming up with creative solos, I've experienced an intensity level that was just a step or two short of the intensity of an orgasm. I could literally feel all the blood drain out of my face. I don't get that from anything else.

I wonder how much of what we've been talking about here applies to talented dancers. I would expect some significant parallels.

4 people like this.
  7. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I know what you mean about that zone. It's almost like being in a bubble with your bandmates and it lifts off the ground a little. But as far as dancers, the video said they tested other activities and this was only found in musicians. If I had to guess, dancing would probably be similar in the brain to doing a martial arts form but still much less complicated in terms of brain activity than playing an instrument.

Edited to say...I bet dancing would be more complicated than doing a martial arts form because you are hearing and processing music while dancing.

1 person likes this.
  8. briezie13

briezie13 Members

Couldnt follow your link, but I do know about empathy and entrainment. We are very good at it.

9. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I know my brain does, I'm smart. [​IMG]

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Here's the video in the article linked...

http://youtu.be/R0JKCYZ8hng

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think it's exclusive to musicians.

For instance :) I agree, I expect the same. Same with certain listeners, or people in totally other crafts.

Anyway, I was wondering what instrument do you play? You probably stated it before but I missed it!

12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

keyboard

13. notrick

notrick Members

It's well known that mathmatics and music are linked but you needn't be an 'A' student in math to be be a master musician. I flunked algebra but can do trig in my head when cutting rafters for a hip and roof systems. I know a lot of musicians with similar stories. Guitarist and stringed instrument players have natural geometry chips, while keyboard is a liner instrument. I insist my private students learn both. Once you can see the keyboard on the fret board it's like your first hit of acid, or deep meditation. You'll never be the same.

eee Karen you play more than that--and don't you teach music too?

14. notrick

notrick Members

I wrote a 400 page paper for an independant study my senior for 14 credits and went on spring Dead tour as research. About dance as a form of meditation. I got a 4.5 from one prof. and 5.0 from the other. Of course most theoretical physicist now think it's bunch but I have no doubt that when you find the grove on stage or dancing your mind and body take different states. On stage you have to connect with band mates. When you do the audience will fall in with you. Theres nothing like it...it's addicting. Once you make that connection you have to get it again.

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I've taught intermediate level piano lessons, but not recently. All the demand is for beginner lessons, which bore me. I don't want to be that (useful and necessary) asshole who shouts at kids, "Sit up straight! Keep your wrists level!" That's so not me.

I took one of those college classes where you have to learn the fundamentals of every major type of instrument. Good thing there's no photo evidence of me playing the tuba or trombone!
    :yikes:

16. notrick

notrick Members

Don't you play flute? ;)

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Good memory! That was my choice for high school symphony. As an adult, most of my practice time has gone into keyboard instruments.

1 person likes this.
  18. notrick

notrick Members

Since I got a 2 year degree in sound engenering I never forget these little things. (I had a really bad accdent and couldn't play guitar, bass, or madolin anymore--so Went to SF and set up an online course Pro Tools mixing then started working festivals all around the world for most of the 90s, and some oo's--oh and I remembered I played piano-my first gf had an MA in music and taught voice and piano--she also had 2 Concert guitars Goya I think..But sometime around 06 I found I could play guitar again. This time I went to Berkley school of music. It's what keeps me alive.
    I do love synth too-- I have a nice Roland Jupiter 88 with "superNATURAL" modeling, with the rack-mount add on it does something like 4000 algorithms. I mostly use 40 :D

1 person likes this.
  19. notrick

notrick Members

The notification said "Please stop..." and trailed off-- sorry if I'm annoying---OOPS LOLOL--it said "please step inside. Now I feel awkward. I got some bad news today. My 82 yr old father who I didn't meet until after a serious incident in Kuwait in 89 while working for the UN and WHO in africa Turkey, well I was a medic 1st class-non-military guide who took meds, food, healthcare workers to places that where not easy to get to.
    Since then he has become my hero. He is/was my mothers care taker/went on Medical missions (non-religious much like what I did through the 80s, but did it in his 80s. Last fall at 82 he went to Quito Equador. Everyone loves him, he'skind to everyone, compassionate, generous--all my friends love him.
    Well he was at the farm in indiana where I grew up with his mother and father. We-well papa raised Tennessee walkers(he grew up in a haller in Tennessee) They'er a special breed in-spite of their history. I was born in Germany and broke my leg in Frankfort Airport at age 3 so papa got me pinto pony-who gave birth to a Palomino. We had 45 + or - head of heifers and 5 or so black angus. We had the only spring fed pont on the plato so I played indian to Papa who was John Wayne. !0 gallon hat and all. But in 1967 we drove to Paris Island to say good-bye to moms baby bro who was going to Vietnam. Papa died at the farm that week and I only went back to keep the cedar trees from taking over--Then after he retired my dad became a gentleman farmer. 3 Weeks ago he was cutting the grass, black berries and cedar with a bush hog on his traktor. He as trapped under the blades and it ate his left leg and sacrum (Hip)
    After 4 surgeries at UC (Cincinnati) Medical School debriefed where got his Phd, and taught he was moved to a state of the art rehab--I was in one of the worst rehabs in the US--VA--I was never in the military but since I had to be debriefed about what we saw in Kuwait in 89--while the UN was putting together it's arms show called "Desert Storm" I was classified as an intelligence agent--which is a joke. I'm an active pacifist[contradiction in terms?} I never carried a weapon unless a dive knife is a weapon and even though did go to military school--same one that woman briezie13--base player who started the "Remote recording Project" and "Quantum Music" {a very interesting woman who I hope comes back] then disappeared. We both went to culver Military academy-and disappeared both got kicked out but--well I talked to my dad today. I'm in such a funk. He kept saying "I'm not gona make it" '. I have aver 100 e-mails saying how good he's doing. Oddly I know exactly how he feels.
    Sorry to dump on you Karen--your the first and only person I've told. Like hitch hiking-it's easier to talk people you don't know.

I'd like to extend an invitation to be part of the remote recording Project that I've taken over. My e-mail is makoa1061@outlook.com. I'm trying to get people from all generes. Right now we'er doing Folk/traditional/Rock/DJ/African hiking but want to invent new generes so I have friend I went to Africa and Asia in Feb. with to do some festivals south of the equator. I can send you the Drop Box Pro link to our project. Just getting started but with old band mates from the 70s 80s and 90s and a lot of profesional musicians who played at woodstock or the like who are neighbors or friends or acquaintances--lots of Musicians live here--the Hollywood scene lives on Maui.

If your not interested, or--OH I need to get this back on track. I think you could be a good addition. Things move slow in Hawaii so no pressure. Think about it.

Aloha

I really hope it said "Step In...." and not Stop Invading my post!! GRR!" :D

20. notrick

notrick Members

Oh where oh where have you gone?