Muliple Sclerosis & Massages

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by abarambling, Jul 23, 2016.

1. abarambling

abarambling Banned

My doctors misdiagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but now they think I might have MS. For anyone that has MS, does massages help? What kind of massage do you get? And how many times a month?

Right now, the pain resides on my upper spine, left thigh, fingers, knees, and upper arms.

Thanks,
    Have a nice day.

2. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Ah, dang... I forgot Saturdays are 'dead days' for the forum. Psh. Ah well.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Get a DX. Can't go on "they think" very far, on something serious, chronic and degenerative.
    There are massage protocols for MS.
    I have several MS clients, and each has different needs. I use a variety of modalities.
    Frequency can only be decided by your practitioner, yet I can say that monthly is an average.

Asmodean likes this.
  4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am sorry to hear that you may have MS. Are they sure? Does your hand shake or anything? I have a friend here that has it, and her hand shakes. She does not talk about it too much to me, and i don't really bring it up to her. Her hand shakes a bit, though.....and her ankles swell when she is on her feet all day....but other than this, i don't know much about it.

I would check into Eastern medicine cures, though.

5. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I have some testing to get done this week, but they think this because of the symptoms I've been describing. Also, they saw something on my spine during a CT scan. But, they need an MRI to see more clearly. They're fairly confident this time around that it's MS. So, I just am getting ahead of the game, and asking if massages help.

6. abarambling

abarambling Banned

They're, as in my doctors are confident that it's MS. But, I feel like they were confident it was Fibromyalgia too. And look at how that turned out. Lol! It does sound more like my symptoms more. It's a mixture of pain (numbness, tingling, etc) and weird sensations.

It used to shake. Not as much as before, though.

7. drumminmama

As I said, there are protocols with degenrative diseases, and different things that can help, and hinder.
    Seek a therapist with experience working with MS clients.

8. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Of course, I know I have to go to a doctor. I'm already doing that. Things take time though, and I want to do something now. Basically, I'm more asking for personal experiences with massages, whether or not they work, and basic information. I'm in pain now. A lot. And I just want people to share personal experiences of what helps, whether they have MS, have clients that have MS, or know someone that has MS.

9. drumminmama

By protocols, I mean what the massage therapist can do. I don't think I got that across well.

Will massage help? Likely, yes.
    How it will help will vary.
    For some, easing of hypertonicity in muscles that might be holding, or compensating for either function or balance, will be the main effect.
    For others easing the mental stress of living with a disease will be the greater good.
    Passive stretching and ROM work helps another type of client.
    If any curling/ flexation is happening, massage can ease that as well.

Most puzzling case I had was someone who had new and drastically different pain patterns each time.
    Turned out it was the study drugs she was taking.

10. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Thanks. This is more what I was looking for.

I thought of massages because the pain is often numbing and tingling, like a pinched nerve. I also get this squeezing feeling, like my muscles are being held tightly, than released. It feels like pulsing or like electricity going through my body. I feel so tired, with such a lack of balance. It feels like I'm just put of it, though I don't act like it. Basically, I feel like my whole nervous system is either shutting down on me or going haywire.

I don't know. Hopefully, this time around my doctors can get my diagnosis correctly.

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

A friend of mine's father has MS. He lives in the west and has been taking acupuncture some. According to my friend, her father seems to feel it is helping with the pain and is helping to control his movements. However, I think it should be noted that the MS is still in the early stages.

Asmodean likes this.
  12. abarambling

abarambling Banned

If I do have MS, I think it's in the early stages too. Right now my fingers and my left thigh are numb. And they're starting to hurt, but I'm still using my fingers, and if I want to I can lay on my left thigh. It will be uncomfortable, but whatever. Lol.

13. David0301

David0301 Members

Me gots da healing of MS yo yo. And I aint joking. I know how to cure that shit

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Disturbing. And I think you're doing it on purpose too.

15. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Let's hope the fucker never gets 'that shit' himself.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I had a teacher who suffered with MS one semester. He couldn't walk very well, but he didn't use a cane. Really tough diagnosis. Sorry to hear it. As far as massage, I have no idea if that will ease your pain. The first thing that came to my mind though was marijuana.

I used to use edibles, as I suffer with sciatica; nothing as serious as MS by a long shot... None the less, I found that the edibles were really a mental thing for me more than a physical. But, if you're worried about getting stuck with opioids you may want to try them out anyway. You'll hear lots of mixed reviews about the effectiveness of medicinal marijuana, here and elsewhere. All I know is that it took my mind off of my back for sure, but I'm not sure if it made the pain less or not. But I think it helped as a muscle relaxant. I seem to remember feeling better now that I really think on it! :)

Well, that's as much as I know. Also, watch out for taking too much Ibuprofen. That stuff will mess up your kidneys! :worried:

Lynnbrown likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Or...