MOVING to Anchorage end of the summer

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by misstobe, May 1, 2013.

1. misstobe

misstobe Guest

Hey, so pretty much the title says it all. I will be moving to anchorage at the end of the summer and by that time i will be 19. My boyfriend already lives up there because he is a soldier stationed at the base (JBER) I'm not here to get lectured about how young I am, etc... Because we know what we want so sorry haha. I like the heat so obviously Alaska is not my first choice but I am excited and I want to make the most of it. I would like to know about peoples experiences (preferably someone close in age) I was a collegiate athlete so i would like to look into the possibility of continuing my education (preferably community college since i will be paying out of state tuition) I will also trying to get a job as a swim instructor or lifeguard because i have loads of experience there and i swam in college. We are already looking at this one apartment in particular and i think that will be the one but it could change... so please just tell me what life is like up there( i've only gone to visit) and what the adjustment might be like (i am from colorado soooo i know what winter and heavy snow is like but i am also used to 90+ summers)

magickman likes this.
  2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

As a Coloradan looking at Alaska, imagine the longest snowstorm and worst driving. Then make the best of long summer days.

That said, I see opportunity in my field. I've got Coast Guard clients who all say, "GO!"

Pushy as Texans, those Alaskans.

3. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

OP posted this a year ago Mama. If the spring-like summers, -30+ degree winters, and harsh prices didn't push her away, she probably loves it.

I'm surprised there isn't more Alaskans on HF, it seems to have the 'hip' culture up there. I suppose it's because most of the 'hippies' there are off the grid and don't use internet anymore.

magickman likes this.
  4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

We have some. Usually older, grandparents, even.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Screw it- ya only live once. Either ya do it or ya don't. If ya do it and decide to go back to where ever it is yer from, you'll know what it was like. If ya don't, you'll always wonder.

magickman likes this.
  6. canthiho02

canthiho02 Members

7. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

My parents lived there in the early 60s when Dad was in the Army.
    Was on a missile base in Fairbanks. They actually enjoyed it!
    They were your age when they went too. Enjoy!
    Get a good look @ the Northern lights when you get a chance, I hear its beautiful!

8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Here in California I saw a Yamaha 250 parked at Safeway...with Alaskan plates!

The driver arrived as I was loading my groceries, and I asked if he had driven it all the way down here, just to make a joke... he got all pissy and weird.

Do Alaskans have any sense of humor at all???

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Some places they have a thing about Californians. That may be why. I remember when I was living in Denver people thought Californians were a little off.

ZenKarma likes this.
  10. magickman

^^Yes that attitude shows up sometimes in other states too.

ZenKarma likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

POSTING in this threat at the moment

12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Well - now there is an interesting comment indeedy. Well stated!

13. magickman

To be clear- people from other states sometimes might think Cali residents to be a bit off...

14. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hitch hiked up here in 75, became home.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you hitchhike up there to work on The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS)?

16. MartNorth

No. I came up because a guy In was in the military with showed me some 8mm movies he took when he wasn't stationed in Fairbanks. Put coming up here high on my list.

17. MartNorth

I found it to be a great place. 3 outta 4 of my kids have returned after adventures in :the lower 48".
    Guess it depends what you need for a happy life. Anchorage is pretty much any city USA and your only an hour from Alaska.