More Questions About Vitamin B12

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by pattymary, Jun 5, 2017.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

Being told as a vegan, that we do not absorbe vitamin B12 that is, as they say, present in meats and seafood, and being a vegan since 30 years now, plus being in my fifties, age when we start to lack this vitamin , vegan or not, because it is said that we cannot assimilate it as before, I decided to take some B12 capsules, one of cyanocolabamine, the other of hydroxocobalamine..
    What is surprising me first is that they overdose it, the daily capsule is 500 ug, when the standard needs are 5 to 20 ug a day..They explain it by some assimilation facts..
    The problem with me, is that this capsule of 500 ug seems to give me some tingling in the body, and it may have an acid I have difficulties to tolerate..Has somebody a bad experience with these capsules?
    Second thing is, I am questionning also the necessity of taking a supplement, because I am realy confused about the truth about it..
    Why do they sell 500 ug capsules, and not 100 or 20? It is explained that anyway, the body cannot assimilate more than a very small quantity at the same time..
    Is the surdose really recommanded for the body? Some people take some 2000 ug capsules!!Is the body prepared to that, when we know that normally in the nature, we are used to absorb very small amounts of this vitamin ?Plus the chemical origin of that vitamin B12 is it harmless? The cyanocobalamine has a little bit of cyanure in it..
    Has somebody explore that field as a vegan ?
    Thank you for your reactions!!!

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My pattern ages 14-45 was one B12 weekly.
    Now at 48, I find 3 or even three a week, if I've not had enriched food sources, is useful.
    I'm basing this view on the energy level differences I notice when I skip it for extended periods.