Modify What?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by wayknowhow, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

The cornell study you're refering to is far from conclusive.

Check this out.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/1999/6-14-1999/monarchbt.html

Thhey didn't even release the amount of BT corn pollen given to the larve.

These problems should be further looked into, but its hardley an excuse to ban all hybrid crops which have the potential to save billions of lives.

While these studies are concerning, theres no real evidence of how much of a problem this would be outside a lab scenario where the test larve were exposed to high concentrations of the pollen in an enclosed space.

Theres also the blaringly obvious issue that these crops drastically reduce pesticides, which kill non target organisms (monarchs and many others species) across the board.

In the farm monarchs are readily exposed to these pesticides which is not only deadly to the larve, but also the adult.

Given that, It's likely that BT corn will be benificial for farm ecology.

2. I never said that, My point was that they aren't done to hepl keep people fed, their done for other reasons, also on the whole getting it there thing

1. for over a year every day there were a whole shit load of planes lifting food into berlin because we had a political reason, I don't think getting some freighters and trucks redirected to africa when there is a famine would be too much

2. as for the south american farmers who we are saving from being destitute, we are encouraging them to destroy their greatest resource via insuffiecient tarriffs on beef from countries which use land that was once rain forest to ranch cows, let their agricultural economies crash, it'll slow the death of the rain forests, it's bad land for growing crops anyway, root system differences

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Well of course GM crops are made for profit, food is a busniess, and hybrid crops are an extention of that.

But within the business, many humanitarian contributions are being made.

http://www.agbioworld.org/biotech_info/articles/potrykus.html

After world war two or something? when's the last time Germany had a food shortage.

But all that aside, Germany is much different from sub saharan africa, not only is it much closer to the rest of Europe, but primarily it has existing infrastructure.

Germany has roads and trucks and once it ot the food could deliver it themselves.

In sub Saharan Africa, the infratructure is much less developed... they have hard times delivering that much food, in addition to the fact that hunger in much of Africa is caused by political strife, like in The Sudan... although I suppose genocide is a much better word.

I said we were incouraging their poverty. Thats all subsidies do.

There main problem with rain forest dehabitation isn't ranching, its farming... and a major problem with that is that slash and burn cropping methods are still used.

You can't want their agricultural economy to collapse, because millions would starve, there has to be another solution. With more advanced faming methods, they could save much of The Amazon.

Hybrid crops are part of the solution. [​IMG]

4. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

5. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

could this be or should it be moved to protest or politics?