Modern Day Hippies Vs 60S/70S

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Jude96, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Scratched

Scratched Members

The truth, in one post. The spirit lives on with the real ones with it in their heart...Much has been lost to the heartlessness toward others in modern times. We don't battle the Establishment now, we kiss its ass.

2. Scratched

Scratched Members

Free love! Omg... I mentioned this on another site to a woman a bit older than me, we were talking about the old days, and she said "hell no, free love is gone baby, dream on, motherfucker! That's our modern world for ya.

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

This is usually where I post a link to this thread:

https://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/386073-an-open-letter-to-young-hippies/?hl=%2Bopen+%2Bletter+%2Byoung+%2Bhippies

Granted it's a 7 year old thread I still pretty much feel the same way now as I did then. It seems to me that the old school hippies were about forward movement, moving society forward etc. Whereas todays hippies are more about trying to romanticize a past that they weren't part of looking through rose colored glasses.

Funny story. A kid in a tie dyed t-shirt offered me free acid. I turned him down telling him that I don't take acid from strangers. To me now it is too risky. You don't know their source and generally I don't trust "Chemists". It kind of reminds me of this:

[​IMG]?

Then again I also love this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Hippies were more spiritual and more intellectual.
    Hippies followed Buckminster Fuller, Alan Watts, Richard Alpert.
    Freaks were more hedonistic.

Both of these groups were not much concerned with getting ahead in the world and money.
    Most things were shared.
    I knew older hippies from the sixties and freaks from the early seventies, neither group, by and large, would ever rip you off or try to make money by selling drugs. Both groups were very communal.
    One for all and all for one.

Of course there were people who had both aspects, but I never met anyone I would call a hippie outside of college.
    All the hippies I knew were enrolled in a college.

Freaks were everywhere.

Stoners, in my opinion, and I was out of the scene by the time they came along, were hedonistic to the extreme. More toward the loner category.

Hippies:
    [​IMG]

Freaks:
    [​IMG]
    Stoners:
    [​IMG]

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I want to clean their room so bad.

This thread reminds me of the time my friend had her purse stolen by someone at a Bob Weir and Ratdog show. We hung out with them all night and shared our weed and our friendship and they dicked us over. So much for that communal hippie spirit. Never really cared for my generation's hippie culture after that

The mess in that picture is really bothering me lol

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The mess is bad, but the green paint bothers me more.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah its awful

Such an awful stereotype of stoners. Some stoners are very clean and have a good eye for color

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Keep romanticizing. Overblown egos are of all times. And far from every one these days has one. Its not that black and white

9. Scratched

Scratched Members

Since you know everything Asmo, go write a book. But don't call it Love, Live and Learn.

Instead call it Judge, Jury and Jerk. It's unfortunate. I know some who lived the hippie culture...they too are jerks. And proud.

Did you not get the government entitlements you felt entitled too?

Maybe, as one who seems to act as a "guide" here, you should lead our "romanticizing" by example instead of casting crows.

Ciao.

10. Scratched

Scratched Members

Asmo- you're 35 years old!

BLA-HAHAHAHA...you old hippie.

You were born the day I graduated from High School!

Damn that's funny...and you're preaching to me about hippies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's the funniest!

11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Here in the UK 'freak' was the word, at least in the 70's.That's how I thought of myself when I was around 20. Back in the 60's used to hear about hippies in the media, seee hippie bands on TV, but I was a bit young for the 60's, although my sympathies definitely lay with those long haired folks by whatever name.

In the late 70's when punk emerged as the new youth culture/style, the word 'hippie' had a bit of a renaissance - the punks used it in a disparaging way to criticize those they sought to replace. Also later on other groups such as 'new age travellers' were dubbed 'hippie' by the media, but they were a long way from the original hippie spirit or ideal in many ways.

Now the term has become a bit amorphous and used mainly to indicate certain styles of dress, but not much more than that.

2 people like this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Now there's the difference.

One day we drove to this little park and walked into the woods to a little tree house with melted candles all over it to smoke some dope.
    Then we walked back to the car and found a bunch of motorcyclist/freaks going through my glove compartment.

So we walked over and confronted them.....and ended smoking a few joints, then one of the chicks said she was tired of riding on a bike so she jumped in with us and we went to a party at her parents house but the guy I was with didn't want to go in so we left.....

Once we all found out we were all freaks, everything was fine.

But then there was the time I was held up at the Bull Island concert in Illinois...but we figured those guys were smack heads...so they don't count.

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't know how you would define what a hippie is. I mean is it just one who does not cut their hair and listens to certain music? Do I need to smoke a lot of pot and live in a VW bus only?

For me it's just going on my own way and being in tune with the world. Maybe if I am lucky and work hard at it I can cause some change in my own corner of reality. Because I do think the way a lot of people live is wrong. Well wrong is not the right word but they could do some things to better live in harmony with the earth and their fellow man. Isn't that what it's always been about?

I enjoy a lot of things that the traditional hippie would not. But when I look back at what went on in the 60's and 70's I think they had the right idea.

I can and don't really see the need for one. I only have one because they are about the only phone you can buy now.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaJ69R7jfro&list=PLC1121B50B1E7D14A

I had this album when I was a kid about 13.....
    prolly explains a lot... :unsure:

15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

13? Shit dude I remember being at least 4 and hearing Dr. Hook doing that tune on "Sloppy Seconds" I'm pretty sure my dad still has it on vinyl. I'd say kids don't know what that is anymore but it seems to be making a comeback.

C/S,
    Rev J

16. Oxymoron70

Oxymoron70 Members

It all depends on how many brain cells have been destroyed and that being said I have one left...a big one that just kind of floats around my skull and chips away...

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

You Sound Like A "Smoke Alarm" With A Flat Battery......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

18. Oxymoron70

Oxymoron70 Members

This may be accurate my friend.

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know that I love coffee...but it was a habit for me.....but it always had to be light and sweeet........very light and sweet....I do like coffee flavored ice cream....:)

20. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

but you carry it so well, dahlink!