Microwaves

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dude111, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I try to avoid using Microwaves as they are not good for you to be eating food which has been subjected to that!

It Kills nutrients,stuff doesnt taste as good as a result..... I would rather take the extra time and heat it up safely......... (On the stove)

I made mac and cheese yesterday and I heated the butter and milk ON THE STOVE because for the last few months my mac and cheese has had basically NO FLAVOUR!! -- I started wondering if the microwave was ruining the butter and milk so I heated stuff up ON THE STOVE and it was the BEST tasting mac and cheese I have had in months!!

Think of using a stove or microwave like analog and digital... ANALOG IS BEAUTIFUL while DIGITAL IS CRAP (As far as audio/video goes)

An excellent article> http://web.archive.org/web/20060424...rlife.co.uk/article/3568/microwave-ovens.html

What are your views on them??

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I haven't ever had a problem with the taste on microwaved food. It's easy, convenient and relatively cheap to use a microwave as opposed to using my gas or electric heating up the hot plate.
    Mostly I use the microwave to defrost meats.

I've tried popcorn on the stove and it was just a pain In the ass and it did not really work very well, much prefer the microwave bags.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I have mentioned how I feel about microwaves before. Anytime you superheat food, you are altering its nutritional content. I mean, all cooking degrades food's nutritional value, which is why I recommend people eat as many raw foods as they can. However, microwaves heat food unevenly.

Some food for thought:

*A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture5 found that broccoli "zapped" in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of its beneficial antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 percent or fewer of its antioxidants. There were also reductions in phenolic compounds and glucosinolates, but mineral levels remained intact.

*A 1999 Scandinavian study of the cooking of asparagus spears found that microwaving caused a reduction in vitamin C6.

*In a study of garlic, as little as 60 seconds of microwave heating was enough to inactivate its allinase, garlic's principle active ingredient against cancer7.

*A Japanese study by Watanabe showed that just 6 minutes of microwave heating turned 30-40 percent of the B12 in milk into an inert (dead) form8. This study has been cited by Dr. Andrew Weil as evidence supporting his concerns about the effects of microwaving. Dr. Weil wrote:
    *A recent Australian study9 showed that microwaves cause a higher degree of "protein unfolding" than conventional heating.

Microwaving can destroy the essential disease-fighting agents in breast milk that offer protection for your baby. In 1992, Quan found that microwaved breast milk lost lysozyme activity, antibodies, and fostered the growth of more potentially pathogenic bacteria10.

Quan stated that more damage was done to the milk by microwaving than by other methods of heating, concluding: "Microwaving appears to be contraindicated at high-temperatures, and questions regarding its safety exist even at low temperatures."

*Another study about breast milk/infant formula by Lee in 198911 found vitamin content becomes depleted by microwaving, and certain amino acids are converted into other substances that are biologically inactive. Some altered amino acids are poisons to the nervous system and kidneys. (Numerous authors mention this study, yet I was unable to find the original article/study, so I cannot personally validate.)

Although many of the above studies are not new, there is certainly ample evidence that microwaving is NOT good for your food.

1 person likes this.
  4. locomotive

locomotive Guest

microwaves should be banned and made illegal... they are horrendous

Dude111 likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I believe most the BS related to Microwaves is just bullshit. Whomever cooks food in an idiot anyways.. Not like this information is useful to them. Microwaves are to preheat foods that have already been cooked.. for a few minutes, not 15/20mins. a few like 2-3min.

if is there is a chemical change. what is it changed to ?

6. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i stopped using microwaves when i moved aboard because they take so much electricity. it was different to get used to, but i find you can cook just about anything numerous different ways!

7. egger

egger Member

All of that is cut and paste from the Mercola website. You should at least reference the site from which you are posting quotes.

Mercola is highly opinionated and financially driven. Similar to Gary Taubes (who got $700,000 upfront for his opinion-based diet book), Mercola cherry-picks sentences from papers that match his opinion while not mentioning the details that don't agree with his opinions. He instills unreasonable fear to sell his overpriced merchandise, such as his microwave-alternative $80 cooking bowl. It generated enough profit for Mercola to buy himself his two million dollar mansion with plenty of money to spare.

8. egger

egger Member

It's factual that microwaving foods can reduce the vitamin B12 content by tens of percent. What Mercola and others don't tell you is that broiling, grilling, fying, deep frying, steaming, and boiling can also reduce vitamin B12 content by tens of percent. Part of the problem is the leaching of water-soluble vitamins that occurs in many cooking methods. Also, "zapping" brocolli in a frying pan will also damage the vitamins the same as "zapping" brocolli in a microwave without any water to absorb and spread the heat.

A paper by Michiko Nishioka showed that cooking fish by frying, boiling, steaming, and microwaving reduced vitamin B12 content by tens of percent. An exception was cooking of fish that that was vacuum sealed in plastic where 92% to 99% of the B12 was retained. The sealing didn't have to be high vaccum, as long as the seal was airtight. Apparently, the sealed bag prevents vitamin B12 from leaching out.

Michiko Nishioka, Loss of Vitamin B12 in Fish (Round Herring) Meats during Various Cooking Treatments, Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology Vol. 57 (2011) No. 6 P 432-436

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv/57/6/57_6_432/_article

free pdf of article:
    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv/57/6/57_6_432/_pdf

9. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

We have an electric air popper. I used to eat that microwaved GMO-FILLED stuff from a bag. Air popped, with some real butter is so much better tasting and better for you. (The popper also uses less electricity than the microwave.) ☺

1 person likes this.
  10. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Mac n Cheese tastes 80-90% better when cooked on a stove rather than microwave.
    Unknown source. True story tho lol

I can't stand microwave mac n cheese. Or popcorn for that matter. Just the smell of buttered popcorn cooking is enough to make me leave my parents house. (Not that I really need a reason to :D ah that's mean...) My mom is constantly muching on popcorn. I can't fricken stand the stuff. Kettle corn I might dabble in occasionally. I'll be happy when there's kernel-less popcorn.

I don't need a source to know nuking is bad. I love steaming and boiling things.

Dude111 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm not sure if microwaving is bad for you or not. Frying is clearly pretty bad.

I would say what ever method of cooking you use, it's good not to over cook food.

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

They're not bad for you, but they may keep you from getting things that are good for you.

Mostly, they make all your food taste like shit - things overheat but you can't tell because there's no searing and it's uneven, but then everything tastes like crap. And they taste like everything else you ever nuked.

Sometimes they're great, conveniance and all that - it's a good thing to have. But most of the time, nothing beats a cast iron skillet or pyrex oven pan. Or a toaster oven, I like those a lot.

13. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think the only problem with cooking in a microwave is if you have the food in a plastic container. This is bad because the plastic can get into your food; it would be a bad way to try to retain vitamins. Microwave ovens use very little energy, if you just use them for re-heating, because it's only on for a few minutes.

14. sunfighter

Here's the latest scoop from the Harvard Medical School. They say that microwave ovens can be the best way to retain nutrients.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

16. sunfighter

The Harvard Medical School is not crap. If they say that cooking with a microwave is one of the best ways to retain nutrients, I believe them because they are highly credible. How did you decide that your guy is believable?

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

it takes a month of sundays to boil water on an electric stove. I aint got time for that..
    for the amount of veggies I do eat daily it wouldnt matter .. nuke in bag 6min. I like my veggie a al dente anyways..

Rice Chex and Total cereal contain enough vitamins and all you do is add milk.

1 person likes this.
  18. sunfighter

Dude, did you even read the article you referenced? I finally did and found out that totally agrees with the Harvard Medical School and debunks what you are claiming. It says

2 people like this.
  19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

my microwave broke a couple of years ago and I didn't bother to replace it. I only used it to defrost meat and reheat leftovers, but now that I'm used to heating leftovers in the oven I don't have a reason for a microwave. It tastes much better heated in the oven.

it is inconvenient when its dinner time and I realize I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer to defrost.

20. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

The real evidence I would like to see is not a count of nutrients in microwaved food vs. conventional cooking, but a study of the health of people who eat lots of microwaved foods versus a control group.

That said, I suspect that what you eat, and whether or not you overcook it, is probably more important than the cooking method.