Marijuana vs Other Psychedelics.......Why Is Marijuana The Most Popular?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Silverbackman, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

Cannabis is a mild psychedelic meaning a normal dose of cannabis is like a very low (perhaps threshold) dose of a classic psychedelic like psilocybin, while a high dose of cannabis can be somewhat like a low dose of a classic psychedelic.

But why is cannabis more popular than all other psychedelics and drugs when you can get pretty similar effects to cannabis from a low dose of LSD or Psilocybin? Could it be the ease of smoking cannabis? Or perhaps that you can smoke a lot of weed but not get too far out of it like a normal dose of a classic psychedelic?

Or perhaps it has to do with cannabis's initial popularity, being more mainstream before other psychedelics became more mainstream?

2. billy96

billy96 Member

simply because its the least harmful, causing it to be the most widespread throught the world

3. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I think it's because weed can be as intense or as gentle as you want it to be. If you just wanna chill and relax a little, you can smoke a bowl. If you wanna get fukt up, you can take gravity hits. Weed is perfect for any occasion.

4. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

Less harmful, more available, more accepted, cheaper. pick one

5. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

its not necessarily cheaper. Acid can be really cheap if you buy in bulk well i guess same if any other drug really.

6. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

pot is really easy to make. most people who smoke pot possess the neccessary equipment to make more pot (seeds and soil basically), while LSD is insanely hard to produce. mushrooms are a bitch to grow, and only grow naturally a coupla times a year, and mescaline containing cacti is pretty rare outside the southwest.

Also, pot's a lot more fun for the average consumer.

7. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

because it said so in the bible

8. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

perfectly put.

9. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

LSD and Mushrooms are actually as least harmful as weed. Actually LSD and mushrooms have no potential for addiction, while there is a chance of psychological dependence on weed. Also both LSD and shrooms are as non-toxic as weed. Only place they would be considered risky is intoxication.....though as I said at low doses it's almost like cannabis.

But yea, weed is so easy to grow and use. You don't even have to dry it......just pick leaves and flowers off the plant and smoke it. So yea, one area weed has a huge advantage in is its ease to prepare and consume.

10. dutch17

dutch17 Member

there is also a largely contributing social factor to marijuana.

11. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

You beat me to the punch... 'cid and shrooms actually pose less of a direct threat to your health. However, that's not to say that they are safe. People who are trippin tend to do stupid things and that's where they can be dangerous if you're not in the right setting. I ate a quad of mushrooms once and about 5 hours into my trip I forgot I was tripping and stepped in front of a car. I probably would have died if my friend hadn't pulled me out of the way at the last second.

12. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

^^ yea you can smoke a joint and go in public and act like a normal person. but if your on some killer cid, EVERYONE knows it

13. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

Yea but at very low doses of a classic psychedelic its basically like a high dose of cannabis.

Even at higher doses acid and shrooms don't necessarily effect behavior, as shown in the acid and mescaline interviews in the "LSD: Beyond and Within" documentry. But they can make people extremly paranoid to the point where you can tell.

14. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

Weed is easy... you cant just take shrooms and relax its a lot more staining mentally and at least for me makes it hard to do much more than trip.

15. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

Cheaper, less intense, more controlable. Most of the time I just want to have a good time, not trip my fucking balls off.

16. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

a blind person could tell when you are tripping on a good amount of acid, shrooms, and mescaline.

17. anonymous_nut

anonymous_nut Member

i see people have failed to mention that there is almost no chance of having a bad trip/high after smoking herb, unless you're screwed mentally anyway.

herb is also the chillest, as you're in a state of intoxication but you can control yourself, at least i hope. the high is well timed too, not short, but not too long.

it is also pretty simple to grow, unlike other psychedelics making it more available.

18. ClosingTide

ClosingTide Member

I would say another contributing factor is that psychedelics are something you don't want to be high on all the time. Pot, on the other hand, is well-controlled and would be easy to want to habitually feel.

19. paintballer687

paintballer687 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A normal dose of cannabis is by no means like a very low dose of any other psychedelic. It would take an incredibly large amount of cannabis to even reach the threshold of its psychedelic properties.

Cannabis and other psychedelics are incomparable, their effects range dramatically, as well as many other aspects. Cannabis has the potential for everyday use, other drugs do not. Cannabis does not decrease your ability level anywhere near that of other psychedelics. Even on a physical level, after eating a dose of psilocybin mushrooms you must wait a few days before your tolerance is low enough to trip again.

And of course, cannabis is much more common. Anyone who wants to could grow cannabis, only with thousands of dollars worth of equipment and years of instruction could you derive LSD from ergot or synthesize MDMA.

20. paintballer687

paintballer687 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Actually, mushrooms are by far easier to grow than cannabis. I used to grow them until my supplier wend out of business. It cost me around $25 for initial set up and only took about three weeks until I had upwards of half a pound, dried.